Chapter 30:

I feel deadly excited for my first day at work. I've called my mom to tell her and she was really happy for me. Karen made sure to schedule a party next Saturday so we could celebrate. She wanted it to be in the same saturday that I called her, but Kyle said he wanted to have the weekend off for us together, since we recently opened up our beautiful little hearts. 

"How are you feeling?" he asks me when I step into the kitchen dressed in my new grey pencil skirt and my dress white button shirt, both a gift from Kyle so I could work with. 

"Excited" I smile at him, take the seat next to him around the kitchen counter. "You'll be fine" he giggles, standing up and putting his already empty bowl over the sink. "You look amazing, by the way" he says, kissing my cheek from behind me and I grin at the gentle touch.

The weekend was more revealing to me than anything in my entire life, to be completely honest. I've learned my feelings about Kyle, I just didn't exactly learn how to admit it to myself all the time, so Kyle keeps saying that I'm just in denial. Which is a total lie. I'm not in denial, i'm just learning how to feel. I've never felt anything, let alone love someone. 

I haven't told my mother nor Karen about the recent discovery of my feelings, we'll keep it down for now, because I don't really know where we stand. We don't want to label anything, though we didn't even talk about it. 

"What time should I pick you up then?" Kyle asks me a few minutes later, when I'm already done with my cereal. 

"Um, I'm not sure. I'll call you" I tell him and he nods. "Let's go then" he says and we walk out of the apartment. 

-

"What?" I angrily ask Kyle, because he's chuckling at something when he stops the car at the building's driveway. 

"Nothing, I'm sorry. I just... I never pictured you dressed like this and it looks so good on you" he says. "It's really confusing not being able to see all of your tattoos" he raises his eyebrows and I have to laugh. 

"Well, I hate this" I whine. "But, it is what it is and I need the money so..." I shrug. "I call you later, okay?" I say before I kiss him on the cheek and step out of the car.

I so could use a drink right now. 

I walk into the building and I see a beautiful blonde girl behind a big wooden counter and I walk faster towards her. 

"Hi, I'm Samantha... Samantha Moore. It's... it's my first day?" I let her know, but she giggles before she reaches for the phone next to her. "Miss Moore is here" she announces and hung up two seconds later. 

"You can go up. 4th floor. Welcome!" she smiles at me and I nod, thanking her before I walk to the elevators. 

As soon as the door opens and I'm officially at the 4th floor, I feel... overdressed? 

The people running around the floor are all dressed in jeans and t-shirts, wearing their sneakers and looking so casual. Well, that's a first, for sure. I never felt like I was overdressed, if anything, I was always the one different. I kind of am the different one now though... 

"Um, Laura?" I ask to the beautiful red haired girl behind another counter. "Lauren" she corrects me with a pretty smile. "Sorry" I say, smiling weakly at her. "Follow me, Mr. Carter is waiting for you" 

I feel both surprised and excited about talking to him. He owns this company, I thought he had someone to do this kind of things for him?

After she softly knocks at his dark glass door, she opens it after he tells her to, and she announces me. He warmly smiles at me, nodding to the chair across his table and I take a seat after shaking his hand. That's when my sleeve lifts up slightly, but enough to show a small tattoo of a star on my wrist. 

He takes a look on it, discreetly, and just smiles, without making any comment. 

"It's nice to meet you, Miss Moore" he says. His voice is deep but comforting at the same time, and he's not intimidating at all, as I might have thought before. He seems young, way older than me but still, young. Maybe 30's or 40's? 

"Thank you, it's nice to meet you as well" I say. Why am I so polite all of sudden? I should be myself and I can't stop being this polite bitch. 

"I can already see you're a modern girl" he chuckles, probably mocking me for being overdressed. "Well, I... I thought it wou-" 

"I'm just kidding" he laughs. "I should've told you before that we're a little bit more casual here than the others" he blinks at me, leaning back against his chair.

"So, I see you worked in a library" he says, reading it down on something I assume that it's my resume. 

"Yeah, I.. I got this job and worked there for a few months. It was nothing, really" I tell him and he raises an eyebrow. Why is this sounding like an interview? 

"Well, it's always something. I'm sure you've learned something, even if unconsciously" he says and I nod, politely. 

"Let's get it started, shall we?" he says and I nod again. "Let me show you around then" he stands up and I follow him outside his office, walking around the floor, that is incredibly huge and crowded. 

-

Carter is nice. Way nicer than he should, and probably way nicer than the appropriate. He's really friendly with all the employees, and they all just seem to get along really well, which is comforting, but alarming. Someone has to hate this guy, come on, he's their boss. Also, there are a few girls wearing just a small shorts and a t-shirt. Okay, even I know this isn't appropriate at all for work place. 

But still, he is nicer than Julie. Well, she's nice too. She was so understanding when I called her to tell her that I found another job. She said that I still owed her those double shifts that I made the poor nerdy guy go through, but I just laughed it out because honestly, she couldn't be serious.

Also, she was really supportive by letting me know that if anything went wrong, I'd have my job back there. Not that I was interested, because come on, I hated that job. 

Around four pm, Carter comes by my office - yes I do have a office, but I share it with one of his assistant; he does have more than one - and tells me that I'm free to go. I haven't done too much today, since we walked around the company for so long that we ended up at the cafeteria having lunch together, so he sent me to my office and gave me just a couple of tasks, and I was free. 

I quickly text Kyle to tell him that I'm free and he instantly lets me know that he'll be here in ten minutes. 

I feel good, though the day was a bit crowded. I mean, I surely do not fit into this place. I'm tattooed, drunk and high most of the time of my life, and I sure as hell shouldn't be here. I'm not even sure I'll enjoy this to be honest. I was just so excited at first because I saw the opportunity to leave that hell of a job I had before, and actually, I knew it'd take more of my time, so I was happy because I was spend more time away from home. 

But I don't live there anymore, so what's the point? 

"Really, you should be happy for this, for fucks sake, Sam. You're never happy enough" Kyle scolds me as soon as I tell him my thoughts. 

"Well I'm sorry if I'm just looking for something that makes me genuinely happy" I roll my eyes and he gently strokes my thigh with his free hand, the other one gripping tight on the wheel.

"Other than that though, was it good?" he asks me. 

"Eh, it was nice. They are good people. You know I was overdressed?!" I exclaim, and he bursts in laughter. I knew he would. 

"I told you so" he shrugs. "No you didn't" 

"I didn't, but I should have. You just look so hot in this outfit I forgot to tell you that publicity companies are just way more casual" he grins at me and I feel his hand softly squeezing my thigh. 

"Oh well.. Can we go home now? I really need a drink" I sigh and he laughs, speeding up.