Chapter 20:

A few blocks away from the restaurant I found a small bar. I don't even give it a second thought before I push the door open and step inside the place. It smells like bad whisky and cigarette, nothing so unpleasant, but it makes my nose twists at first. I take a seat on the tall bench around the counter of the bar, and the bartender gets closer to me. "I'm gonna need your ID, darling" he says with a playful smile on his face and I roll my eyes. Damn it. "Uhm, really?" I ask him and he nods. "I can't sell drinks to underage people, especially at this time of the day" he points to his watch on his wrist "Why are you here so early?" he asks. 

"None of your business, don't you think?" I snap. "Okay" he laughs "Anyway, can I get you a Coke?" he mocks me. "Fuck off, just give me some vodka, I only need one shot" I beg. "Nope" he shake his head "Can't do that, sorry babe" he says. "Don't call me babe" I scold him. "You know..." he starts "I can get you what you want, if you get me what I want..." he says, his tone is now so low I can't barely hear him. I can't believe he is really suggesting something like that. He's attractive and all, can't be more than five years older than me, but still, that's disgusting. 

"Hell no!" I raise my voice, standing up from the counter "I don't need this shit, i'm out" I say, leaving the place listening to his laughter behind me. That's so fucked up, the fact that I really want a drink after I tell my mom I'm not that addicted, I'm just acting like an alcoholic person by searching for a place where I could get someone to give me a drink without minding my age. I actually have no idea of where I am, I've never been to this area and now I have to walk to somewhere. I don't have anywhere to go, that's the most fucked up thing. 

*Are you busy?* I text Karen and she answers me right away. 

*Nope, just left my classes. Why?* it reads.

*Pick me up, I'll find the adress of where I am and text you* I answer her. 

I walk for a few blocks until I find somewhere to tell her, and I text her immediately. Within twenty minutes later, Karen stops her car in front of me and I stand up from the sidewalk and head up to her car. 

"What are you doing around here?" she asks me. 

"I had a interview, it was around here... somewhere" I said. I must be far from the building because nothing here is familiar to me. "Oh, yeah! Sure, how was it?" she asks. 

"Eh, I think it was good. I hope so" I shrug. "You'll make it, you'll see" she says. "Anyway, there's a party friday night. Do I need to ask you if you want to come?" she playfully says. "Who's party?" I ask her. 

"Frat party?" she says as if it was obvious. "I'll be there" I say. I'm not really into those frat parties anymore, but when it's the only party I have on my schedule, then I have to enjoy it. "How was lunch with your mom?" she asks me when we are already inside her dorm. Her roommate is nowhere to be found, and I'm starting to think she's not even real, I've never seen her here. 

"She was just trying to piss me off" I tell her, throwing myself on her bed and shoving my face on her pillow. "And she made it?" Karen laughs. "She always does" I say, turning around and laying on my back. "She wants me to go to rehab" I tell her and Karen has basically the same reaction I had, she laughs really hard. "I know right?" I say. "Come on, are you serious?" she asks me. "Fuck yeah! She said my father told her he would only allow me to come back home if I would accept to go to rehab" I roll my eyes. "So basically, you have no other option" she says.

"Of course I do. I won't go to rehab and I won't go back to that house" I say. "You don't have a place to stay, Sam! You kinda have to" she shrugs. "Hell no!" I yell, standing up and throwing her pillow on her face. "I don't care if I become a homeless person living on the street, I won't go back to that fucking apartment" I say, slamming the door closed. I really need a drink right now, for fuck sakes.