Chapter 24:

Kyle stops the car in the driveway and we both step out and walk to inside the building that I used to call home. Now I don't have a home. He insisted to come inside with me in case my father was there and tried something against me. I know he wouldn't touch me, but still, we never know. 

By the time we reach the apartment, it's about one pm. The smell of food tells us my mom's cooking and I knock on the door. She doesn't take long to answer, and she smiles when she sees me. "Sam, what are you doing here?" she says, giving me a awkward hug. 

"I came to pick up a few more clothes" I say, free from her grip. Her smile fades away and i'm sure she was hoping I was here to tell her that i'm going to rehab and that I'm coming back home soon. 

"Oh" she says "well, come in" she invites us. When she lands her eyes on Kyle she smiles at him and by her expression I know she's thinking who he is, even though she met him before. "And you are...? I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names" she tells him. 

"Kyle" he smiles brightly at her, shaking her hand "Nice to meet you, Kyle" she says. "The pleasure is all mine, Mrs. Moore" he says and I roll my eyes at the ridiculous scene "Oh, please... Call me Melanie, or Mel" she says. 

"OOOOKAY" I interrupt. "I'm going to my bedroom to take my stuff, you may now stop kissing each other's ass" I roll my eyes and walk out of my bedroom listening to their laughter. Kyle doesn't follow me. I just grab another bag and shove a few more outfits there. More jeans and t-shirts, my other two converses and a combat boot I love too much to leave it behind again. I reach for my drawer but then I remember my mother threw my cigarettes away, and that's when I realize I haven't been smoking for a few days now and I don't even miss it. 

"Rehab my ass" I groan and a laughter startles me. "The fuck, Kyle!" I yelp when I see him on my doorway, my hand on my chest, my heart almost popping out through my mouth. 

"Were you talking to yourself?" he asks. "So what? I was thinking" I shrug. "What?" he asks. "I'm... I don't smoke in a few days" I pout at him and he nods. "Yes, that's great" he says.

"I think so..." 

"Rehab my ass" he mocks me, and I slap his arm. "Fuck off. And by the way, why were you kissing my mother's ass so hard?" I laugh. "I was just being a gentleman" 

"Oh, of course. Be a gentleman and tell her what you did to her daughter before we come here" I challenge him and he opens his mouth, daring to yell and I run to him and shut his mouth with my hand "You asshole!!! You wouldn't" I laugh. "Wanna bet?" he asks when I remove my hands from his mouth. "Nope"

 A quiet knock on the door gets our attention a few minutes later. "Excuse me" my mother's voice says, her tone barely audible. "Lunch is ready, join me before you leave?" she asks us "Uhm, I guess" I mumble, looking at Kyle and he slowly nods at me agreeing. 

"Great!" she yelps, walking out of the bedroom. "What about your father?" Kyle asks me. "Well, apparently he's not home so..." I shrug and we both walk to the dinning room. 

"Actually, Sam.. I was about to call you. I need to tell you something" she says, her expression is covered in concern. She's sit across of me on the table and Kyle is next to me, the food is just as delicious as the smell of it, but I have a feeling this conversation will ruin the meal.

"If it's about the rehab.." I start but she cuts me off "It's not" she says, politely smiling at me. "I was hoping for a better... timing, to tell you that" she looks at Kyle and he cleans his throat. "I can leave if you want" he says.

"No, it's okay" she smiles at him "You two seem very... friendly" she looks at me now and I roll my eyes "I think there's no problem about it" she shrugs. "Anyway, it's about your father"