Thirty Eight

*Todoroki's POV*

We were all independently searching for possible agencies to conduct our work studies. In the meantime, Midoriya had found his straight away, Uraraka, Asui and Kirishima filed their applications and Bakugou and I were busy completing our provisional license classes.

The weekend after (y/n) had received Endeavor's request, I was summoned home. The conversation I had with my father went something like this;

"Did you know I requested (l/n) to do her work studies with me?" He asked.

"Yes." I replied coldly.

"Of course once you actually earn your provisional license you'll be coming along too."

"What do you mean too? She denied your request." I frowned.

"Is that so? Then explain to me why this application has her signature and why my letter returned with an approved stamp?"

"What?" I snatched the paper from him and stared at the slanted, neat, cursive name. "That's her signature..." I muttered. Her signature was far too complicated for someone to copy. "But she very clearly said denied when Mr Aizawa told her. We all heard it."

"Perhaps she realised the opportunity she would be wasting and changed her mind." He smirked at me.

"Why did you specifically ask for her to conduct work studies under you?" I pried.

"I thought you'd be happy to be working with her." He stated.

"What's your ulterior motive?" I questioned with anger lacing my words.

"There is no ulterior motive Shoto. She won't be starting her work studies until you do. She has put a note at the bottom of the application asking to speak to me when I have time before then. The real reason why I have an interest in your friend is thanks to the many words I've heard from others. They say you both work extremely well together. That your quirks, even though I don't see hers as being all that great, are practically made for each other. I'd like to see that for myself not have to go on what others say. If it's true then perhaps if you work together more you'll figure out more ways to become stronger together and separately. Hopefully you will both see at some stage you don't need to rely on each other. You'll realise that you're strong enough on your own and you don't need to work together. Then you'll go your separate ways.

'And there it is.' I rolled my eyes. "It's not a matter of us being blind to the fact we're strong on our own it's that we work well as a team. We both know we can handle things alone. Sometimes I think she's even better at that than me. Stop underestimating her. It's possibly the worst thing you can do, and not for anyone else, but yourself."

He remained silent as I said my goodbyes and returned to the dorms. Once there I spotted (y/n) and she spotted me. Her tail and her fluffy ears drooped. As I strode over to her, the other students cleared the path and dispersed to their respective rooms.

"Why did you do it?" I asked simply.

Her ears perked a little. "Are you mad?" She questioned back. I didn't really know if I was mad about it.

"I just don't understand. Why did you change your mind? Why didn't you tell me?" I sat down across from her on the green sofa.

She sighed. "I didn't really know how to bring it up. I didn't know how you'd react. I was unsure if you'd be mad or disappointed, annoyed, upset. I did it because I know your father disapproves of me. I guess you could say I did it out of spite. But also, even though his opinion doesn't really matter to me, I know it does to you whether you admit it or not, so I want to try and prove to him that I am worthy."