One

"Dinner's ready!" A woman called up the stairs of a large house. A horde of hungry kids thundered down to the first floor of the home.

The last child, no older than ten, arrived in the dining room from the backyard. She took one glance at the table. The soft round ears on top of her head dropped and her spotted tail flicked in slight annoyance. There was not one grain of white rice left in the large bowls the children served themselves from.

"Awh poor kitty has to go hungry again." One boy teased, in turn making all the others laugh.

The girls shoulders slumped and she turned away from the group of bullies.

"(L/n)! What have I told you about sulking?!" The grumpy old hag grumbled angrily. "There's no food left so you may as well get to bed!"

"Yes miss." The girl sighed and walked up to her shared bedroom. She climbed up to the top bunk and laid facing the wall. Her stomach growled furiously as she laid in the foetal position.

Two more years of bullying passed by in the group home. Why was she bullied? The other children were quirkless and she was not. They did not fully understand the extent of her quirk and refused to see past their beliefs that she was simply half-cat and useless.

The girl walked into school early on the first morning after holidays to find her best friend sitting ready for the class that wouldn't start for another half an hour.

"Hey (y/n)." She smiled and waved before she looked worriedly at her friend.

"Hey Ochaco." The hungry girl replied.

"Did you get a new uniform?" Ochaco asked.

"No. Why do you ask?"

Ochaco stood and pulled her friend into a tight hug. "(Y/n), you've lost so much weight during the holidays it's not healthy." She spoke as she embraced her thin and frail friend. "I don't like the way those people treat you. Come on." She grasped her cold boney hand and left the classroom with her bag.

"Where are we going?" (Y/n) asked the only person who seemed to care about her.

"You'll see." Ochaco smiled back at her.

The brunette girl lead her friend out of the school and through the many suburbs of the city. "Ochaco, we're going to miss class on our first day."

"That's not important right now." She stated as she knocked on the front door of a house. It opened and a brunette woman opened the wooden barrier.

"Ochaco, why aren't you in school? Oh..." She noticed the girl standing with her.

"Remember my best friend (y/n) who I told you about?" The short girl asked her mother.

"I see. Come on in both of you. I'll cook up something scrumptious." She smiled softly. The two girls entered. The one with round spotted ears bowed her head in shame.

"Why did you bring me here Ochaco?" She whispered while her small voice cracked.

"My daughter has expressed her concerns about you many times. I've always wanted to do something to help but I had no real idea about your conditions." The woman started moving around in the kitchen as she spoke.

The girl lifted her head with a few tears pricking her eyes as the kind woman crouched before her. "There's no need to be ashamed (y/n). None of this is your fault." She said as she pet the girls hair gently. "We are going to help you."

"But-"

"No buts. You two can skip school today and you can stay the night. I'll make you some food and you eat as much as you want you understand. I have some errands to run today so you'll have to stay here."

"Alright mum." Ochaco smiled. "C'mon (y/n), I'll show you my room." The little brown haired girl pulled her famished friend along excitedly. Once in the room (y/n) began to cry.

"Ochaco. Thank you so much. I'm so grateful."

"It's okay (y/n)." The two hugged each other as the other wept silently at the ever kind girl she had befriended. "I know it's been going on for so long now. I can't stand by and watch anymore. We both want to become heroes. What sort of hero would I be if I didn't even help my friend?"

The mother reported the caretaker who was in charge of (y/n) and the other children. She was taken to court and Mrs Uraraka was granted custody of the abused girl. She was sent to hospital to recover and stayed there for a few months before returning home to her new family.

She vowed to do whatever she could in order to repay them so she found a part time job at a cafe. She worked after school and in the morning on weekends. She would pay board even though the family insisted she didn't need to.

(Y/n) wasn't oblivious. She knew Ochaco's parents were in need of assistance. They weren't poor but they weren't rich either. She didn't want to be more of a burden on them then she already had been so the girl stubbornly refused to not pay to live with them.

She created a schedule for herself. She would wake up early to go and train for a bit before coming home for breakfast. Ochaco and (y/n) would then leave for school and afterwards (y/n) would head to work for a few hours. She would then train until night fell, return to the small house they lived in, eat dinner, complete homework and any studying before she went to bed.

Ochaco and (y/n) shared a bedroom so her late night antics would often disturb Ochaco. She got used to it and slept through whatever (y/n) might get up to whether she was mumbling to herself in an attempt to answer math problems or lifting dumbbells because she couldn't sleep.

(Y/n) eventually settled into the home nicely and her mental and physical recovery went well. A year passed by and she was unrecognisable. She had filled out and gained muscles thanks to her exercise regime.

She and Ochaco would later go on to apply to U.A. and participate in the entrance to exams.