The Humanity

The door to your class swung open. You didn't bother looking that way until whispers started spreading through the room. Someone took a seat next to you which was when you pulled yourself away from the notes you were writing down.

"Hello love." Klaus said with a smile. He looked different, you couldn't place your finger on it. He seemed more... alive for lack of a better word.

"You can't just break into my uni classes Klaus." You grumbled at him.

"Well I wouldn't have had to if you were home." He huffed as if not being where he expected had offended him greatly. Looking at him you realised he looked a little more, for loss of a better word, livid. He looked tired too. Not in the way his usual chaos bored him after a while. But he looked exhausted.

"What happened to you?" You whispered, glancing at the professor who had paused, only momentarily, when Klaus entered the room. He sighed dramatically as he lolled his head to the side and glanced at you.

"I angered something very powerful, it saw fit to rid me of immortality for a while." He explained.

You stared at him with a blank look on his face. Blinked a few times. Took a deep breath and nodded once.

"You mean something uncursed you and you're human?" You asked curiously.

"Yes and while my siblings fix the problem, you. Are going to show me how to be human or let me starve?" He asked quickly.

"I guess... I can take you to my apartment once the class is over." You said hesitantly. He frowned and seemed to accept your offer. At least you assumed he had. He nodded and leant back in his chair, listening to the last part of the lecture.

**************************************************

Elijah had turned up at your house to update Klaus on how the search for fixing the spell was going. It turned out they couldn't just turn him again. They had to lift and curse. You'd agreed to let Klaus stay with you, in hiding.

Which you had assumed would be a few days maybe a couple of weeks. Now, four months in, Klaus had gone from drinking, partying and enjoying mortality to refusing to leave your house. He was convinced his enemies would start to take advantage of his predicament. That he'd been human for far too long and that word must have gotten out.

"Leaving again." Klaus commented, not questioning your but, acknowledging that you'd be gone.

"Yes, I leave everyday." You answered with exasperation through gritted teeth.

"That's wonderful. While I stay here helplessly, you run off to learn things I could teach you for free."

"Well, you don't come with education certificates. Besides, No one will come in unless you invite them." You pointed out with a huff.

"Well it's nice to know in my hour of need you've decided to turn away and abandon me."

"Klaus. You forget to eat unless I remind you, you got angry and decided to try and bite a bartender and you've been a human for four months and I've been looking after you. You need to be less dramatic."

As usual Klaus forgot to eat while you were at your classes. You had to cook, despite the fact that you knew Klaus was more than good at it. He played the being ill card. You pointed out he probably felt ill because he had stayed up half the night pacing and trying to watch out the window for the imagined watchers.

After eating you decided you were far too tired of him to stay awake for long. You hoped if you had a nap Elijah would appear miraculously and take his needy brother away. That was a long shot hope. The latest Klaus had informed you about them was that they had the right witch but not the right spells. Freya was working night and day to find it. You couldn't help but feel sorry for her. You'd seen her searching for spells before, frantic in her searching. Elijah had asked how Klaus was the last time he'd visited. That hadn't been for a long while. You'd lied, a white lie really. You didn't tell him the worst of what Klaus was going through.

Blicking awake blearily you realised it was dark now. Klaus had laid next to you at some point. He looked peaceful for once. His breath soft, mouth open a little as he slept. He looked so gentle, practically innocent. It wasn't hard to wonder if he would adjust to being human again. He would, you told yourself, he would thrive and live like he'd wanted to do when he was first made. How he'd spoke about being human when he was drunk in Rousseau's. But his enemy would take advantage of the weakness it posed.

There would be nothing his siblings could do to convince them to let him be. Almost heartbreaking. At least for this moment, you hoped, he'd be peaceful.