Christmas Prompt ~ 2019

Klaus' mood was bitter and self loathing. Something about this holiday had set him off. You weren't sure if he knew that his siblings were working as hard as they could to ensure that even if it was for a moment Hayley would bring Hope to see him.

But it was more than that. It was like the holiday season seemed to absorb all the happiness that he had gathered over the last few years. He was pacing around the house, you were unsure how to comfort him, or if you should. He seemed to want to be left alone, all the while trying not to be alone at the same time. As if a moments silence would crash over his mind and drown him in the thoughts that he managed to escape during the day.

You hummed to yourself as you walked back home, it was almost time for Elijah to come back, he had told you where he was going, compelling you to forget, letting you only know that he would be back and safe.

"Please stop singing Christmas songs." Klaus said, stopping you abruptly. He was staring at the firepit that Rebekah liked to have out, for the Mikaelson bonfire tradition.

"Sorry." You said cautiously as you headed over to him.

He sighed and looked at you for a moment, looking back to the fire. "No, I'm sorry. I just... This might be the first year we're not all gathered together."

"I don't think the Mikaelson Christmas spirit has ever met its match." You said cheerfully and he smiled a little.