A Child

You huffed as you let go of the man you'd been feeding from. Elijah would have told you to compel him to forget you. Something had distracted you so you left him in a heap, groaning as he clutched his neck.

Following the sound through the woods you gasped. A small child wrapped in a thin blanket was left in the woods. Quickly you rushed about to see if anyone was near. It was alone. Picking it up gently it turned in your arms and snuggled closer. How anyone could leave it out in the woods you didn't know.

When you headed back to the home you were hiding in, you realised the other Mikaelsons weren't home. That gave you time to find another blanket for the child as you knelt near the fire.

"(Y/N)?" Klaus called as he came into the room. "We will need to leave soon and..."

When you looked over at Klaus he was staring at you. "What... where did you get a child."

"I found her. She was abandoned in the woods, I couldn't leave her." You said quickly.

"Well you did not need to bring her here, we are on the run! You can not honestly think we could take care of a human child?"

"Klaus. I am looking after her!" You shouted. He groaned slightly. It was a very bad idea. But he couldn't argue with you if you wouldn't give her up.

"Fine. But you cannot make her like us." He sighed with relief when you agreed and gathered your things. Elijah, Rebekah and Kol were all surprised by your arrival bearing a child. Rebekah warmed up to the idea quickly while Kol pointed out it would be a liability. Elijah said nothing on it.

*******************

"Niklaus we need to talk." Elijah said urgently. Klaus rolled his eyes and looked up from the book he'd been reading.

"What have I done now brother?" Klaus asked as he set the book down, moving across the room to pour himself a drink.

"There are rumors that a vampire is looking for the child. They're in New Orleans. It would appear that they would be correct."

Klaus didn't move. There was a tense moment of what looked, to Elijah, of panic that passed over Klaus. Then he proceeded to pour himself a drink and sat back down.

"That won't happen. They won't get to her."

"Niklaus, last time something like this happened they stole her... they turned her!" Elijah reminded and Klaus stood, slamming a furious hand on the table, leaving small scattered cracks under his palm.

"I know that! They will not get near her again. It was hard enough for (Y/N) the first time." Klaus snapped firmly. Elijah nodded, deciding he would warn Rebekah and find Kol, they would be more than happy to fight off whoever was coming.

Klaus rushed down through the house. You were fretting and he could see, Elijah had already spoken to you. You looked like you were talking to Camille. WIth a reluctant sigh he decided there was one person who really needed to be comforted.

He stepped out into the garden and smiled. She looked so peaceful, painting the flowers that sprang around the garden, marking an invisible barrier of magic. It always made his heart break a little when he saw you, still trapped as a child, forever stuck. He had agreed with you when you planned to let you grow old, to love the descendants that would live long and happy lives.

Vampires stole that chance from you before you could grow. They had failed you, tried to protect you and lost you. It was a miracle that they managed to get you back at all. "Hello, little one." Klaus said.

You paused as you painted, looking away from it and up at Klaus who was still, hundreds of years later, was still as awkward at parenting as he had been when you first found the girl.

"Hello Klaus." She answered sweetly. She glanced at her painting in what appeared defeat before setting the brush down. "Do we have to leave, because of the vampires?"

"I think we will. But, for now I could sit and make sure you're safe. If you'd like to finish." He gestured to your painting as he spoke. You smiled and nodded, taking up your brush again.