Protect Her

You were shaking your head. You'd opened the letter he had sent to you. There was something in your gut that told you Klaus was going to do something extreme and you wanted to see if you could stop him. "I should have known you would read the letter." Klaus said as he strolled over to the bench you were sitting on.

"You're going to sacrifice yourself." You said before he'd even sat down.

"I would sacrifice anything for Hope." Klaus said firmly with a short glare shot your way. "She's my daughter."

"And you are my brother! My twin, Klaus have you even tried searching for other ways. There must be!" You almost begged and he sighed.

"Nothing can be done. Nothing that will save Hope." He muttered and you groaned.

"You're absolutely sure?" You asked more quietly, less insistent. As if you were accepting what he said.

"Trust me I have searched and tried to find another answer but there isn't one." He muttered bitterly, hugging your tightly as you shake your head.

"Then I'm going with you." You said quietly, through as sigh as if it was a relief.

"No!" He snapped, holding you by your shoulders. "I will not get to see my daughter live but at the very least my sister, the other half of me will be there and if we should meet again on some unfortunate day, you would tell me about her."

"What am I supposed to do without you?" You asked quietly, tears dripping down your cheeks as he hugged you again.

"Share the world with Hope. Let her never known true fear the way we have." He asked, moving to hold your face in his hands as he kissed your forehead.

"I'll be with her, Always and forever." You vowed. He hugged you tighter both knowing it was the last time in a thousand years that you would be together. Klaus didn't hide that he was crying, crushing you against him, as both of you thought of moments waste on hate and war.

Selfishly you wondered if you could convince Klaus to let Hope die and the two of you could stay together, the Mikaelson twins, never far from each other. As quickly as the thought came it left you. "You should go and see the others, I'm sure they will try and make me change my mind. But I have to do this for her." Klaus gave you a sad smile and neither of you moved, hands clenched together as you enjoyed the bustle New Orleans for one last time.

****************************************

Alaric sighed as he looked down at Hope who wasn't admitting to the magic she'd performed. "You're telling me it was someone else?" He asked.

"Well I'm not saying it wasn't?" She muttered and crossed her arms.

"Is there a problem?" You said, feeling satisfied when you mae Alaric jump.

"What are you doing here (Y/N)?" He said, recalling the difficulties he'd had the last time he met you. Although now you were alone, he thought guiltily.

"I'm Hope's guardian now. I need to ensure she is getting a decent education." You said cooly, glancing at Hope who couldn't look at you. "Her father recently passed it it usually to berate grieving student. I would think it's better to find a way for her to use her powers constructively until she feels better?" You snapped. Alaric sighed, not sure if he was willing to argue with you.

"We try our best." Alaric muttered which made you scoff.

"I try my best, we apparently don't." You said gesturing to Alric, making it clear how little you thought of him. "I'll be taking Hope out of class for the rest of the afternoon."

She followed after you, quietly but she fell in step, still not glancing your way. You couldn't imagine how hard it must be to see you again. You took her to a cafe, both in awkward silence. "How are you doing?" You asked her and she sighed.

"I'm sick of people asking." She snapped quickly as she stared at the drink you'd bought her.

"You know what. So am I. I'm sick of people wanting to tell them I'm fine, I'm not fine and they just need to hear that I am to feel better." You said which surprised Hope. Rebekah and Kol just wanted to hear how that you weren't going to turn ripper on them. "I promised I would look after you."

"You look like dad." She said in almost a whisper. You weren't sure what to say. Instead you reached over and took her hand.

"I see him everytime I look in the mirror. It's strange being without him." You admitted and she finally looked at you.

"I'd started to get used to not having him. At least I had Mom." She said and looked guilty for a moment.

"He had a funny way of loving his family." You shake your head, telling her a few stories that seemed to cheer her up. "I'll be moving temporarily to Mystic Falls. Until you finish school." You informed her.

**********************************************

"I need some help." Hope said as she called you.

"Hope, This is the first time all year I've gone back to New Orleans to help Freya... what could you have done in the few hours it took me to fly there?"

Hope glanced at her friends who were huddled in the background of her facetime. She winced and showed you the ingredients she'd gathered.

"In our defence, we were attacked." She said and grinned sheepishly when you deadpanned before sighing and pinching the bridge of your nose.

"Alright, text me the ingredients and what you think you're getting rid of and I'll ask Freya or Kol what they think you should do. But no fighting it off before I get back!" You insisted but she hummed nervously.

"It's trapped in the janitors closet." She admitted and you sighed.

"I'll be back as soon as I can. I can't convince you to do as you're told and wait for me to get back?" You asked her and she grinned.

"You know better than to ask." She said, flashing a smile that resembled one Klaus would give you when he had a plan.