Hope's Twin (Part Two)

Very little changed after that night. Admittedly Klaus wasn't for want of trying, after year of getting nowhere he was forced to retreat, finding a thousand years' worth of paranoia jammed into one small and fragile version of himself.

While your relationship with the rest of the family slowly healed, your bond with him became deceptive, a game that only the two of you would understand. It had begun at three, waiting for the right moment before hurling a prized possession somewhere out of reach, needing someone bigger to help retrieve it.

Of course Klaus had jumped at the chance to help you with something. By the time your fourth birthday rolled around he'd become accustom to the game. You had hated your birthday, the day designed just how Hope wanted it, not a thought spared on you.

"Uncle Kol, I am running away." You declared and interrupted the adult's meal.

"Is there anything we can do to convince you to stay?" Elijah asked from the other end of the table, his gaze pausing on Klaus who was pretending to not watch you closely.

"I am afraid not Uncle Elijah, Daddy didn't get me my painting and I was very good and didn't say a word about how horrible the party was." You nodded once and looked at Klaus who tilted his head with a slight amused look. "When I come back you won't recognise me."

"I will always be able to recognise you (Y/N), you'll be the little girl who looks just like her sister." Klaus chuckle was cut short when you looked upset and headed to the front door.

"Goodbye everyone." You called from the hall and heaved open the front door.

"Don't forget your coat." Hayley called out.

"Thank you Mommy, bye-bye now." You waved and hurried off.

Klaus started counting, it took exactly eleven seconds for you to get to the end of the drive and another six before you worried he'd forgotten you. He took his glass of wine with him as he headed to the door, growling and setting it back on the dining room table when he realized you were gone.

"No need to get up I'll look for her." Klaus chuckled as everyone gave him the same look.

"She can't have gotten far she has very little legs." Kol smirked at his brother who nodded.

Klaus found you halfway up the lane that led to the main road. He followed you, taking in the sight of you enjoying yourself, pleased that unlike your sister he didn't have to keep you in line by continuously hovering over you.

He was a little nervous when you reached the main road to the Quarter, you stopped and almost turned back, unsure if you really wanted to go on. The vibrant paintings and the bustling life of the Quarter was a love of yours you shared only with Kol, long walks through the streets until your legs couldn't move any further made it easy to pick your way to your favourite places, surprising Klaus.

He followed you into a small art store he'd visited recently and smiled when he found you running your hands over the cold tubes of oil paints. He lent down and untangled your pigtails from the bright pin straps of your back pack.

"I like how it smells in here." You mumbled to him.

"Old wood and paint?" Klaus mused.

"Would you like to see my pictures Daddy?" You asked and shook off your bag.

He held his hands as you emptied your back, dropping loose change and clothes into his arms as you found the small black sketch pad. Your skill was impressive considering your age, your fluidity and understanding of scale astounded him.

"This is very good." He praised.

"I'm better than Hope, she doesn't even colour inside the lines." You hummed proudly.

"Your sister isn't one for sitting still." He chuckled and let you lean against him.

"She can't sit long enough for Uncle Elijah to read to her... Uncle Kol bought me a big book of Edgar Allen Poe stories and some by Shakespeare." You rambled.

"Oh and which is your favourite?" Klaus asked curiously.

"The tempest." You hummed and hurried off to look at something that had caught your eye.

You spent a while in the shop with Klaus, pointing out to him all the things you wanted, not noticing when he motioned for the woman at the cash point to come and start collection the items. Once you'd toured the whole shop he scooped you up and balanced you on one arm.

"I'm hungry, Daddy." You sighed and lent into his shoulder as he headed to the nearest restaurant.

Once you'd eaten he let you sleep in his arms, heading the opposite direction of your home when an idea struck him. He didn't wake you till the very last minute and smiled when your frown turned to curiosity when you read the sign that was on the wall.

"We're going to watch the Tempest." He smiled when you grinned up at him and settled against his chest.