Chapter 37

George's POV

I haven't heard from Kat in a month. I can't eat, or sleep, or do anything else. Everything I am is consumed with worry. I gazed out the window, hoping to see Amethyst fly in, hoping to get a letter from Kat. I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Kat's going to be fine," Fred said reassuringly.

I sure hope so.....

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Fred's POV

I tried not to show it, but I was extremely worried about Kat. I didn't want to have my mum thinking it would be like last year. She still hasn't written and its been a month and two weeks. School starts in two weeks. I wanted to see her at the platform more than anything. Her not being here has definitely taken its toll on George and I.

We would see her at Hogwarts.
We need to see her at Hogwarts.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Kat's POV

A week after I got the letters my mother burst into my room. She took one look at Amethyst perched on my desk and lost it. So now all of my school supplies are locked up in the basement. Amethyst was allowed to stay in my room considering I had nothing to write with anymore. I had to get my stuff out somehow.

******

I sat on my bed. The clock read 11:30 pm. I heard my mother turn off the lights and close the door of her bedroom. Her room was right next to mine, so a half an hour later I heard her snores. I grabbed a bobby pin from my dresser and went to the door. Three minutes later my door was unlocked. I gathered my bag and Amethyst and crept down the stairs.

I reached the basement stairs and quietly opened the door. I then dragged my trunk up the stairs making almost no noise. I found a piece of paper and a pen and began to write.

Dear Mum,
When you read this I will be long gone. I told you I was going back to school no matter what, and when I have a plan it never fails. I'm still giving you 10 points for the effort you put into keeping me away though. Well enjoy life and I'll see you next summer!
-Kat

Satisfied with my letter, I set it on the table and walked out of the door. I walked away from the house and down to the water. Dragging my trunk wasn't easy, but I managed to get to the end of the docks. Sitting in the water was a decent sized boat. A couple weeks ago I was looking out the window with my telescope when I noticed the it. Every day since, I've checked on it. No one has come to claim it so I decided to use it for my escape. Thank god I learned how to work a boat similar to this last summer. I had no idea how long it was going to take for me to get to England, but I didn't care. As long as I made it back.

I climbed in the boat. I dragged my stuff to the room underneath the deck. I then lit a lantern and started the boat. It glided through the water easily.

I was on my way back home.

******

I finished the last of the food Mrs. Weasley sent. I was still on the boat. So far I hadn't gotten much sleep in the week and a half that I've been stuck on here. I needed to stay awake to guide the boat. Often I would doze off. Amethyst hooted loudly, snapping me awake. I looked ahead and through my sleepy eyes I could make out a strip of land.

"Yes! Amethyst we'll be getting off this boat soon. We've found land!

Happiness overwhelmed me. I was almost going insane from a few weeks with no human contact. Although it probably would've been a whole lot longer if not for magic. One of the nights I was kind of depressed from loneliness, and then all of a sudden the boat sped off five times faster than it had been going before. A couple days later and here I was.

******

Three hours later I stopped my boat on a dock. As I was getting my stiff off the boat, an old man came up to me.

"That's a fine boat you got there missy."

"You can buy it off me if you'd like," I said. I wouldn't be needing the boat anymore.

******

Thirty minutes later the man and I came to an agreement. I may be eleven, but I can still negotiate a fair price. I took my money and walked up the docks. From there I got a taxi to take me to London. He stopped a block away from where I needed and gave him most if the muggle money. He thanked me and drove off.

I walked around the corner and down the street. I found myself in front if the Leaky Cauldron. I went inside and went up to Tom, the bar man. "Excuse me sir. I would like a room here," I said politely.

He looked slightly shocked, but got over it. "Yes of course. It's 10 galleons a night. How many nights are you planning on staying?"

"I will pay for three right now, and give you more when I make it to my vault," I said, giving him thirty galleons.

He nodded and gave me a room key. I went up the stairs and found my room. I set my trunk and bag down. I then collapsed on the bed. In seconds I was asleep.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: just to be clear, Kat is an extraordinary eleven year old. She's really smart and independent as well.

That's all.