Chapter 26

George's POV

I woke up the next morning on the couch in the common room. I had warm blanket was wrapped around me. Kat came down the stairs leading to the girls dormitory. She sat down next to the couch. "Morning sleepy head," she smiled.

Last night came back to me. The conversation we had about her meeting with Dumbledore. I also remembered her tucking me in and pushing the hair off my forehead. And her last words to me before I fell asleep. She had called me Georgie. I smiled at the memory.

"What is it?" Kat asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing. So how did your talk with Dumbledore go?"

She grinned. "Well he called me to ask how I was doing here. He also told me that I was the best in the year, and that I was an extraordinary student. Oh and I also thanked him for the Christmas gift he sent me."

I took a minute to process all of what she said. "Well obviously your the best in our year," I began, "Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot." She blushed slightly at my words, but didn't contradict me. "And that photo album was from him?" She nodded. "And you knew?" She nodded again.

Of course it was from him. Who else would send a mysterious gift. And of course she knew it was from him. I mean look at her. She probably put it together easily. I didn't need Dumbledore to tell me she was the smartest in the year, I already knew. We all did.

Fred stomping down the stairs dragged me out of my thoughts. He took one look at the common room. It was completely empty except for me laying on the couch, and Kat sitting next to me on the floor. He smirked. I could see he was struggling to not make a comment

"I'm going upstairs to get changed. I will meet you guys back here and we can all go to breakfast," Kat said. Fred and I nodded. She ran up the stairs and Fred faced ms. Here it comes.

"I missed you last night," he said still smirking, "You never told me you would be sleeping down here."

"I wasn't planning on it, but after Kat cams back she convinced me to just sleep here."

"And I'm sure you couldn't hold your ground with her talking to you," he said while laughing. I rolled my eyes. I've set myself up for an eternity of teasing. I got off the couch and started for the stairs.

"C'mon Fred. We have to get ready so we can head down to breakfast with Kat."

He rolled his eyes, but went up the stairs to our room.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Fred's POV

Fifteen minutes later George and I were sitting on the couch waiting for Kat. She walked down the stairs and stood in front of us. "Get up boys. We need to eat breakfast fast because I will not be late for classes on our first day back." George and I both rolled our eyes. We followed her to the Great Hall and started eating.

Kat rushed us along and soon we were at Transfiguration. Of course we were the first people there. "God Kat, I could have finished my eggs," I complained. She gave me a look.

The bell rang throughout the castle, signaling the start of classes. Students began to pore into Professor McGonagall's classroom. The Gryffindors sat on one side of the room and the Slytherins sat on the other side. Kat, George, and I took our usual spots at one of the tables in the back.

A pale girl with long curly black hair walked into the room. I recognized her as Hailey Anderson from the Slytherin house. She and Kat definitely don't get along. When she passed our table, Hailey purposely pushed Kat's books off the table.

"What's you problem," Kat snapped.

Hailey smiled innocently over her shoulder, but didn't respond. Angrily, Kat started to pick up her books. George and I helped her as well. When class officially started Kat was still mad.

"Kat are you okay," George whispered. She nodded her head, but didn't say anything. "George don't bother her about it right now," I whispered in his ear. The last thing he needed was to get in the middle of this when Kat was still mad.

"Mr. Weasley and Mr. Weasley. Is there anything you want to share with the class," Professor McGonagall's voice rang out. Some of the class laughed. George and I both shook our heads and stayed silent for the rest of class.

The bell rang, dismissing us from Transfiguration. Kat turned to us. "Guys I have to use the bathroom. If I'm late tell Flitwick where I am." I nodded and she raced out of the classroom, and down the corridor.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Kat's POV

I looked at myself in the mirror. I was in the girls bathroom trying to calm myself down. I had become better at controlling the nasty temper I had, but sometimes it wasn't that easy. Especially when Hailey Anderson was around. Since the first day of school we had become enemies. My thoughts drifted back to one of my worst experiences with her.

We were in Charms class working on the levitating spell. We each had a feather in front of us. Professor Flitwick had demonstrated the technique for us and now it was time for practice. I was laughing at Fred and George's attempts at the spell. Hailey sat in front of me with her usual group of puppets. She tried the spell, but instead of levitating the feather burst into flames. George, Fred, and I snickered. She whirled around, obviously angry. She eyed me and sneered. "Why don't you go ahead and try it," she snapped. I took a deep breath and did exactly as Flitwick taught us. Swish and flick. I said the spell and the feather began to float. Professor Flitwick came over and clapped. "Very good Miss Vance. Twenty points to Gryffindor." Fred and George gave me a high five. I smiled, pleased with myself. Hailey on the other hand practically had steam coming out of her ears. "Well look here. The filthy mudblood finally got something right," she said cruelly. Fred and George tensed next to me. Professor Flitwick whirled around. "Miss Anderson! I never want to hear that come out of your mouth again. Fifty points from Slytherin and a months detention with me." The bell rang and Hailey stalked off. I bent down to gather my things. "Kat are you okay," the twins asked, concerned. I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." Thank god they didn't notice the silent tears running down my face.

A bang behind me pulled me out of the horrible memory. The door opened to reveal Hailey herself. Speak of the devil....... She walked in without her group. She smiled sweetly, but I could see the hate in her eyes.

"We need to have a talk," she said.

She pointed her wand at me. A burst of red blinded me. I felt myself crumple against the stone floor of the bathroom. I heard a cruel laugh and then nothing. The world faded to black.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Fred's POV

It was our break now. Kat never showed up for Charms, or Potions. George was pacing the common room, trying not to freak out. I was doing my best as well. We hadn't seen her in over two hours. Neither of us had any idea where she was. We had already checked the hospital wing. No luck. We checked with other professors. They didn't know either.

Professor McGonagall stepped in the common room. Everyone turned to look at her. She almost never made an appearance in the common room. She only came if something happened. Oh my god. George looked at me. We both had the same thought. It wasn't good.

McGonagall gestured for us to come over to her.

Kat, what did you get yourself into?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. I have tons of homework I'm ignoring. I'm in a Hogwarts mood so after I get finished with my pile of homework I will update more. I'm siriusly sitting in my bedroom in bright pink sweatpants and an oversized Slytherin shirt. Oops.