Chapter 20

Kathryn's POV

The first few weeks of school seemed uneventful compared to my first trip to the hospital wing. Bill was right. I caught on quickly in all my classes, and realized I was more than decent at potions. Even Professor Snape, the potions master, looked shocked at the skill I had making my first potion. I received top marks for that. I also had a liking in Transfiguration, who was taught by Professor McGonagall.

I loved Hogwarts and everything about it. I especially enjoyed sitting underneath a tree by the lake. Occasionally Fred and George would join me. I have to admit that they had both grown on me. We had all certainly become closer since the first day here. I had also met a ravenclaw girl named Evangeline Swan. We were paired up in our first Charms lesson and immediately became friends.

Overall it was absolutely brilliant. I always had my work in on time, and tried my best in classes. I even helped Fred and George with their homework. All the teachers were nice to me so I gave them respect in return. Even Professor Snape wasn't terrible to me, considering he always favors the Slytherin house. Soon I saw signs up for quidditch tryouts. I had no idea what quidditch was so I decided to go and watch the tryouts.

******

The tryouts were held the following week. Angelina was sick and Eva had homework to catch up on, so I walked to the large field with huge bubble sticks on it by myself. In the distance I could see little flecks zooming around in the air. A bright red speck flew into the large bubble stick and I heard cheering.

I got to the field and sat in the bleachers. I saw older kids mount their brooms. My mind went back to the week before, where I had my first flying lesson. Being up in the air on a broom was amazing. For the first time I felt free. Madam Hooch complimented me on my flying and said that she expected to see me playing quidditch for my house in a couple years. That's why I was out here at 7:30 am instead of at breakfast. I wanted to see what this quidditch was.

I felt a pair of cold hands on my neck. My instincts took over. I turned around, grabbed the hand, and flipped the person to the ground. My adrenaline rushed died down as I looked to see who I attacked.

I may be small for an eleven year old, but I still took George Weasley to the ground pretty easily. His twin stood across from me laughing at him. I held out my hand and helped George up from the bleachers.

"God Kat, what was that for?"

"You scared the crap out of me."

Fred laughed harder.

"So you decided to throw me to the ground?"

"Okay look I didn't decide to do anything. You scared me by putting your hands on the back of my neck, so my first instinct was to defend myself."

George sat down beside me and rubbed his hurting neck.

"Hey now you know not to do that again," I said.

Fred was laughing so hard that there were tears in his eyes. George scowled and turned away from. I set a hand on his arm. "George, I was just playing." He nodded and regained he usual mischievous smile. "Look there's Charlie. He's the captain this year."

"Um guys if I ask you something will you promise not to laugh?" I asked.

Fred sat down on the other side of me. "Course Kat. We're your friends remember," he said.

"Okay. Will you guys explain quidditch to me? I have no idea what it is. I've been hearing all about it since I've got here and I just really want to know what it is," I said really fast.

They both grinned.

"Well you see," George said, "Quidditch is a game played on brooms. There are seven players. A keeper, a seeker, two beaters, and three chasers. The keeper stops the bright red ball, called the quaffle, from going into the three goals."

"The seeker tries to find the golden snitch, which is a tiny gold ball that will fly everywhere," Fred continued, "The two beaters have these bats to hit the bludgers, those thick black balls, away from their teammates and towards the opposing team. The three chasers pass the quaffle around until one of them gets it past the keeper an scores."

"Then there are the points. You get 10 points for every time you score-"

"-and 150 points when you catch the snitch. The game ends when the snitch is caught."

I nodded. "Thanks guys."

"Anything for you Kat," they said together. I laughed at how creepy it sounded. "So do you guys plan on trying out when you're old enough," I asked.

"Yeah. Fred and I want to try out for beaters," George said.

"Are you planning on trying out?" Fred asked me.

"I'm not sure yet. I think I just enjoy watching more than actually playing."

They both nodded. Together we sat and commented on the tryouts. After they were done, the twins accompanied me back to the castle.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Fred's POV

The day was going great until Filch, the mad, old caretaker, came along. Kat, George, and I walked into the castle. We were about to go into the Great Hall to eat lunch when Filch stopped us.

"Boys I've heard word that you've got yourself some dungbombs."

Crap.

"Turn out your pockets," he demanded.

George an I looked at each other before turn out our pockets. Minutes later the last dungbomb was placed in Filch's hand. He grinned triumphantly.

"Thank you boys. Now I'm gonna have to have you come down to my office for a minute."

"What for! We gave you all the dungbombs," George said.

"Well rule breakers must be punished. Dungbombs are against the rules. Come along now."

"Wait! They were mine. I just have them to Fred and George to hold on to," Kat said. I had forgotten she was here. Why was she willing to take the blame for this. She knew very well that the dungbombs were ours. I looked at George and he gave me a look as if to say, see I told you this is what she does.

"Kat go eat lunch. We'll see you at class."

She seemed reluctant to do so, but she went into the Great Hall. George and I exchanged looks, and then followed Filch down the corridor. Soon we were in front of an old door. Filch opened it and led us inside. First he opened a desk drawer and put the dungbombs inside. Then he started filling out a slip of paper, for detentions I assumed.

There was a bang above us. "Stay right where you are," he said giving us a glare. Then he ran out of the room. "PEEEEEVES!" George and I surveyed the office, then lunged for the desk drawer. On the outside a sign clearly read: Confiscated and Highly Dangerous

I grinned at my brother before opening the drawer. We rummaged around for a few seconds before finding a blank piece of parchment. Footsteps rang through the corridor, announcing Filch's return. I quickly stuffed it in my pocket, while George put some other random stuff in his. He slammed the drawer shut. George and I resumed our original spots just a he walked in.

He glared at us. For a second I thought he knew what we had done. He then walked over to his desk and ripped up the paper he was filling out. "You got lucky this time boys. I have to talk to the headmaster about that wretched poltergeist, so I won't be giving you detentions. Now get out!"

We didn't have to be told twice. George and I ran back to the Gryffindor common room, laughing all the way.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: It has begun.