Chapter 5

Kathryn's POV

Afternoon light filled my bedroom when I woke up. I looked over at my slightly dented alarm clock. 1:00! I haven't ever slept this late before. I guess I went to bed around 2:00 am the night before, but that is still no excuse for sleeping in this late. I looked around my room at the mess I didn't clean up last night after my.... "accident". Oh my god. The headmaster of my new school is coming over to talk with me in six hours.

Oh my god.

With that thought to fuel me, I rushed around to get ready for the day. I quickly ate a bag of chips from my stash in the closet. Next I surveyed my disaster of a room. Who knew magic could be this messy?

I have a lot of work ahead of me....

*******

I put the last book on the shelf and stood up. I looked around my now spotless room for anything I didn't put away. It took me five hours just to clean up my mess from yesterday. I looked at the clock.

6:30

I looked in the mirror and tried to perfect my appearance. The head of the school is coming over in a half an hour. I've got to make a good first impression. I sat on my bed nervously.

6:45

I've began pacing back and forth out of nervousness. A habit that my mother hates. Oh god. My mother. I haven't even thought to tell her about the headmaster coming here. Or about me opening the letter. Or anything else for that matter. The panic begins to take over. I sit at my desk and take deep breaths.

6:50

The time bomb keeps ticking away. Threatening to explode at any moment now. I pick up one of my favorite books and head down the stairs. When Professor Dumbledore arrives I should probably be downstairs to at least attempt to keep my mother at bay. I walked quietly down the stairs into the sitting room and sit in my favorite chair. Seconds later my mother walks in.

"I didn't think you were coming down today," she says, her tone softer than usual, " Dinner will be ready at 7:30 if you're interested in eating with me tonight."

Her words shock me. She's in a better mood than she's ever been. Maybe that will help me. Maybe when she explodes, like she's destined to do in the next few minutes, it will cause fewer fatalities.

"Um yes that would be nice," I say. She walks back into the kitchen and I can smell the dinner she's cooking.

6:58

I can't keep my eyes off of the large clock hanging above the fireplace. Another minute ticks away. Thoughts of how this night could go overwhelm me.

15 seconds.

What if he decided not to come?

10 seconds.

What if there was a mistake and I'm actually not a witch?

5 seconds.

What if this was all just a prank, like my mother declared in the first place?

The clock chimes, signaling 7:00. At that exact moment a knock came from the door. My heart raced faster as my confused mother went to answer it. I set down my book and silently crept down the hall. My mother opened the door to reveal an older man witch long silver hair and beard, a crooked nose, a kind smile, and piercing blue eyes. He wore an emerald green robe, which wasn't something that people wear everyday. This man was clearly Albus Dumbledore.

"Hello," the professor greeted my mother. She looked taken aback as he walked through the doorway without an invitation. He saw me peaking around the corner an his smile broadened. "You must be Kathryn," he said while shaking my hand, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"You too sir." My voice came out high pitched and squeaky. I cleared my throat. "I am glad you were able to come tonight," I said, gaining back my confidence.

My mother followed us into the sitting room, still shocked. She hasn't said a word since Albus Dumbledore walked into her house. I was beginning to like her this way.

"Please have a seat Professor," I gestured to one of the many arm chairs in the room, trying to be as polite as I could.

His blue eyes twinkled as he sat down. "Why thank you Kathryn. Please join me," he gestured to the two chairs in front of him. My mother and I sat down. He looked at me and smiled. "Well we certainly have a lot to talk about, so let's get started."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: I said it would get interesting. I think it's about three or four more chapters until Year One starts.