Chapter 4

Kathryn's POV

As suddenly as it happened, all magical activity in my room stopped. The books fell, the shoes stopped their dance, the curtains stopped moving, and the air turned back to the way it was. Overall, I caused quite the mess.

"KATHRYN COME DOWN HERE!"

In my moment of realization I forgot my mother was still here. She probably heard every book I own falling to the floor. Or felt the air turn cold. Maybe it was the tapping from the shoes. Panic overwhelmed me as I thought of her reaction to the news.

"KATHRYN MAE VANCE," my mother yelled up the stairs. I knew if I didn't come down now, she would knock down my door. Silently I trudged down the stairs and into the sitting room where my mother was waiting for me.

She looked at me, her anger showing through her eyes. "What was going on up there," she demanded.

"Um I just dropped some of my books. I tripped over some shoes and dropped them," I lied.

I could see her debating of I was telling the truth or not. Hey eyes softened partially. She believed me.

"Fine. Go upstairs and clean up that mess you call a bedroom. And if I hear one more peep out of your room I will punish you," she snaps.

Before she could change her mind I rushed out of the room. I took the steps two at a time, rushing to get to my room. I quickly shut the door and looked at the mess in front if me. As I picked up one of my books, I saw a white and brown fluffy ball perched on my desk. I threw the book aside and moved closer to the owl. She looked up at me with large brown eyes and hooted.

"Shhhhh. I can't have my mum coming up here," I whispered, not realizing I was talking to an owl.

The beautiful bird lifted her leg to reveal a piece of thick paper tied to it. Carefully I untied the paper and slowly unrolled it. The bird sat there silently while I read the second letter.

Dear Miss Kathryn Vance,
As you now know, you were born with magical abilities. As both of your parents were not born with these powers they will not understand the meaning of these letters. Therefore, I will arrive at your house tomorrow night at 7 pm to talk with your parents about your situation. I will also explain everything about our world to you. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow night. Also owls are the most common way that wizards communicate with one another, so please send your response with this owl.
Sincerely,
Albus Dumbledore.

I am stunned. The headmaster of the magical school I am supposed to attend in September wants to talk with me and my mother. This is not going to go well. The owl lightly nipped at my finger pulling me out of my thoughts of tomorrow. She looked at me expectantly. She wouldn't leave until I sent a response with her. Quickly I pulled a piece of notebook paper out of my desk drawer.

Dear Professor Albus Dumbledore,
Thank you for my letter. I never had any idea that magic was real and that I was born with it. I am so confused about everything that has happened since I got my letter, so I appreciate your offer to come over tomorrow night so I can have an explanation from a real wizard. I look forward to talking with you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
Kat Vance.
P.S. My mother can be a bit... overwhelming so it would be best to tread lightly while talking to her about this.

Before I could regret my decision, I tied my letter to the owl and she flew back out the window. I watched the owl's wings spread as she soared back to wherever she came from. I went back to my bed and laid down. I closed my eyes and dreamt of everything that could go wrong tomorrow.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

So? Questions, comments, concerns?