Chapter 1

Kathryn's POV

I woke up to the obnoxious ringing of the alarm clock yet again. My mother has made it a point to set an alarm clock every night to get me ready to wake up for school. Just because school starts in 3 weeks does not mean everyone needs to be prepared for it now. I slammed my hand on the clock to shut it up. I checked the time. 8:00 am!?!? Who gets up at 8:00 on a Saturday during summer holidays? I groaned and started to lay back down.

"Kathryyyyyyyyyn," my mother yelled. Good lord could she be any louder? "KATHRYN MAE GET UP NOW!"

"Geez mum why don't you say it again but a bit louder? I don't think the people three towns over could here you."

"Excuse me?" I heard her coming up the stairs. Wonderful. "Just because its you're birthday or something does not give you the right to speak to me that way." She raised her voice a bit. "I have done everything for you. I've given you a home, I put food on the table-"

"Yeah, that I cook," I mumbled.

Her face turned red. She's getting ready to explode. Any minute now. God Kat why couldn't you just leave this one alone, I mentally scolded myself.

"YOU LITTLE UNGRATEFUL BRAT. I DONT EVEN WANT TO LOOK AT YOU RIGHT NOW. DONT BOTHER COMING DOWNSTAIRS, OR GETTING YOUR MEALS EITHER."

She slammed the door. I heard her stomp downstairs and continue ranting about how terrible of a daughter I am. I sighed and laid back down. Well on the bright side I get an extra two hours of sleep.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I woke up for the second time today. The clock read 10:45. My stomach was growling for breakfast. I opened the bedroom door a crack.

"YOUNG LADY DONT YOU DARE THINK ABOUT COMING DOWN HERE!"

Great. I closed the door and sat back down on my bed. This is your own fault Kat. You just couldn't leave it alone. I stood up and went to my closet. I pushed aside some pairs of shoes until I found what I was looking for. The loose board at the bottom of my closet. I pried open the board and looked at the contents hidden beneath it. Cookies, cereal, water, chips, and any other nonperishable food item I could find. I took out a mini box of cereal and began to eat.

After I ate I changed into my usual jeans and T-shirt. I heard my mother talking on the phone so I guessed I had a couple minutes to spare. Quietly and quickly I climbed out my window and down the line of plants that grew up the back wall of the house.

Careful not to be seen, I made my way to the mailbox. Even though I had no living family members left besides mum, I still hoped that I would get a single birthday card. Each year since I was six I would sneak out to the mailbox only to find disappointment. I opened the lid for the box and pulled out the mail. I sorted through the mail carefully putting anything that didn't concern me back into the mailbox. My hands found a thick creamy envelope. Green ink adorned the front of the envelope.

Ms. K. Vance
Second Largest Bedroom
6. Privet Drive
Little Whinging, Surrey

(A/N: Yes she practically lives next door to Harry. He will join the story shortly.)

Wait. What?!?!?! Ms. K. Vance..... Oh my god! This is mine. Maybe it's a birthday card. The one I've waited for for half of my life.

"KATHRYN MAE VANCE." Her voice broke through my thoughts. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT OF YOUR BEDROOM? DID I TELL YOU THAT YOU WERE ALLOWED TO LEAVE? DO YOU HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR ME AND THE AUTHORITY I HAVE? WELL YOU YOUNG KADY ARE GROUNDED."

"Mum I was just getting the mail for you. I don't see how that gets me grounded. I'm trying to be helpful," I argued.

"Why would you be concerned with the mail? You can't possibly think someone would send a letter to you do you?"

The neighbors are now getting curios. Some are looking out the curtains, watching us carefully. Looks like we are going to be the neighborhood gossip for the night. My mother noticed this as well.

"Kathryn get back inside now," my mum hissed, "We will continue this discussion later."

Reluctantly I started walking back up to the house. As soon as my mother got in the house she locked the door and continued her rant. "So what were you doing outside, when I clearly told you to stay in your room?"

"I was just trying to be helpful," I lied.

"That is crap and you know it. Let me see what you've got," she said reaching for the letters. I tried keeping the strange letter addressed to me, but she got that one too. "Let's see here. Bills, bills, doctor reminder, bills....." She continued sorting the mail until she got the the thick envelope. She paused for a moment, shocked. "WHAT IS THIS? WHO IS TRYING TO CONTACT YOU? YOU DONT HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY TO SEND YOU LETTERS SO TELL ME WHO YOU KNOW THAT WOULD SEND YOU THIS."

"HONESTLY I HAVE NO IDEA WHO SENT THAT. I WAS JUST ABOUT TO FIND OUT BUT INSTEAD YOU HAD TO INTERVENE LIKE ALWAYS." I yelled back.

"DON'T YOU DARE SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT KATHRYN. I AM KEEPING THE LETTER AND THAT'S THAT."

"YOU CAN'T KEEP THE LETTER! IT'S ADDRESSED TO ME. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? THAT IS MY LETTER AND I INTEND ON KEEPING IT."

"YOUNG LADY I AM YOUR MOTHER AND I WILL DO AS I PLEASE. YOU WILL NOT DECIDE WHAT I DO AND YOU CERTAINLY WILL NOT K-"

Our screaming war was cut off by a knock at the door. My mother gave me one last glare and went to answer it. I'm the doorway stood a little boy who looked about eight. with untidy black hair, broken glasses, and a miserable look on his face. "Hello Mrs. Vance. My aunt was wondering if she could borrow some of your sugar for her baking today."

I knew my mum didn't like this little boy. It seemed like no one in the neighborhood did. And the rumors that went around him were astounding. But if she didn't oblige she would get an even worse reputation because Petunia Dursley would make it her job to tell the whole neighborhood. "Yes, fine I will be back in a minute." She rushed off to get the sugar.

I stepped toward the door. "Hello Harry." He gave me a little smile. "Hi Kat. Happy Birthday." I always was nice to him because the way everyone else treated him was ridiculous. We actually became good friends after a couple months of friendly exchanges. "Thanks. How are thing back at your hou-." My mother's return stopped me short. "Here boy, here's some sugar," she snapped. I smiled at Harry and waved good bye as my mother closed the door and locked it once again.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: So if you guys are confused Harry is younger than Kat and Kat just turned 11, that's why her letter came. This is before Harry is going to Hogwarts. If you do some math in your head you can guess what year she will be in when Harry starts school and who here main friends will be;)