Chapter 2

Kathryn's POV

My mother turns towards me and before I know it I'm pushed into a chair. "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?" She screams, waving the envelope around. "WHO IS TRYING TO CONTACT YOU?"

"I HAVE NO IDEA. AT ALL. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW SO BAD WHY DON'T YOU ACTUALLY OPEN IT INSTEAD OF WAVING IT AROUND ALL DAY."

"THAT'S IT. I'M DONE WITH YOU. GO TO YOUR ROOM AND STAY THERE." I stayed where I was. "I MEAN IT. GO. NOW."

"I'm not leaving until one of us gets to open the letter," I said quite calmly.

She glared at me and sighed in defeat. "Fine I will open it and then you will go straight to your room." I nodded. She slid her finger underneath the seal and a peice of thick paper fell out. She picked it up and unfolded it. Her eyes quickly scanned through the multiply pages. As each page went by she got paler and paler. Her hands began to shake. "Mum........" She stood up quickly and threw the letter, envelope and all, into the fireplace next to us.

In a flash I was standing next to her. "Mum! That was the first letter I've ever gotten! How could you just go and throw it away?" I was freaking out. What could be horrible enough for her to do that to the only letter I've ever gotten? "It was just some prank letter," she snapped, "It was nothing of any importance." I glared at her. "DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK. GO TO YOUR ROOM."

I made sure to stomp as loud as I could up the stairs. I slammed the door as hard as I could. I picked up the clock and threw it across the room in disgust. It was only 8pm! The last time I went to bed this early was when I was five. I took a deep breath and laid down on my bed. Maybe I just need to sleep this off. Maybe tomorrow everything will be perfectly fine. Or maybe this is all just a bad dream. Maybe I will wake up with the perfect life I've always dreamed about.

Yep, Happy Birthday to me, I thought sarcastically. I closed my eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N: Any concerns and/or questions? How an I doing so far on this? Don't worry the action will pick up soon.