Chapter 36

Kat's POV

I crossed off another day on my calendar. Another day on house arrest. Another day with my mother. Another day wishing I was somewhere else. Another miserable day.

It's been three and a half weeks since I sent Amethyst off. I was getting anxious. Everyday I was forced to spend in my room was spent gazing out the window, hoping to see a black speck I'm the sky. Everyday had the same results. I needed these letters. I needed my friends' comfort. It sounds selfish if me, but it's true.

Every since the first morning here my mother has been impossibly strict. Each day I was supposed to eat breakfast then she would lock me in my room. At noon she would unlock the door and let me down for lunch. Then I would go upstairs until dinner. Each night I was locked in until 7 am the next day. And then the cycle repeated.

I'm my alone time I would read books, or plan my escape. I was going to leave. I didn't care what my mother said or did. I was going to Hogwarts.

It was now getting dark. My clock read 9:00 pm. I had just settled down and grabbed a book. Suddenly a black ball flew threw the window and into my lap. Amethyst had finally returned.

I tried to keep myself from making any noise. If my mother heard me she would definitely come up the stairs. Then I would be dead for sure.

"Amethyst," I whispered, "you're such a good girl. You can rest here, but to can't make any noise. If you do then my mother will take you away." The owl's large eyes blinked once. She then held out her leg. I untied the multiple letters from her leg. She flew silently to her perch, and I sighed in relief. I then opened one of the letters.

Dear Kat,
It's horrible how you're mum just took you to America. Who would do something like that? Anyways, I told my mum and she said that if you need a place to stay once you get back to England, you're always welcome to stay with us. I do believe that you will make it back to Hogwarts no matter what. Also if you need to escape from there my parents would gladly get you out.
I'll see you soon,
Angelina.

The next one was from Eva.

Dear Kat,
I'm so incredibly sorry if I get you in trouble because I'm writing to you. I just had to send a letter for you. I now hate your mother so much more than I already did. She can't keep you away from Hogwarts. Not if me and everyone else has something to say about it. My mother wants me to tell you that if you need any help that you just need to write and we'll be there. Summer is going to be really boring now that you can't come over. Anyways, I'll see you at platform 9 3/4!
Missing you,
Eva

I picked up the last envelope. It was thicker than usual, and attached to it was a small package. I opened the envelope first to see many letters fall out. I grinned and picked up the first one.

Dearest Kat,
I read the letter that you sent Fred and George. I honestly can't believe that your mother would do such a thing. Im worried for you Kat. So are the twins. If anything and happens I want you to write to me immediately. And if you would like I can have Arthur write to Dumbledore. He can come and get you out. Or if you tell us where you are Bill and I can apparate there and get you. And just in case she's neglecting you food, I sent a package filled with a variety of stuff. I hope you like it. Whenever you get the chance please write to us to keep us updated on what's going on.
-Molly

I unfolded the next one.

Kat,
I read your letter. I'm now really mad at your mum. Because of her we can't hang out over the summer. I was really looking forward to that. Although I think Georgie was looking forward to it the most. Don't tell him I said that even though it's true.

At this point I felt my face heat up slightly as I stifled a laugh.

Anyways, we will have plenty of time to hang out over Christmas break. You're coming to spend Christmas with me wether you like it or not. I will see you at the platform when you and Fred and George leave for Hogwarts.
I miss you loads,
Ginny

I opened a small bit of parchment next.

Dear Kat,
Stay calm and try not to hex that old hag.
-Bill and Charlie

I laugh loudly. Horrified with myself, I covered my mouth with both hands. Seconds later I heard my mother coming up the stairs. I stuffed all the letters under my pillow. My mother stopped in front of my door. Instead of coming in, she yelled from the hallway.

"Kathryn. What the hell is so funny? You're not getting any letters from your freaks of friends are you?"

I bit back the nasty cuss word I was about to reply with. "Um no mum. It's just Percy's sass and Leo's need to be hilarious. That's all," I said quickly.

It seemed to work. She walked away from the door and muttered, "you and you're damn books." I sighed in relief and pulled the letters out from under my pillow. There were only two more left. I unfolded one and read it.

Dear Kat,
Firstly, you should have seen George when Amethyst arrived. He read your letter and freaked out. Even though the entire situation is serious, that was pretty funny to watch. He's currently pacing the living room for the billionth time since we've gotten back from school. He misses you. We both do. Please put a dungbomb in you mum's room for me. She can't just stop you from coming back to Hogwarts. And knowing you, you already have a plan to get out. You're always the one with the plans, so I better see you at King's Cross on September 1st. Do you understand me? It's going to be weird not seeing you for a couple of months. In my opinion George is going to go insane from missing you so much. Don't tell him I said that even though its true.
Lots of love from the Master Prankster of the Universe,
Fred

That only left one more letter to read.

Dear Kat,
I can't believe you mum would take you to America. Freaking America. Honestly I'm worried about you right now. Your mum isn't the nicest person, and I don't like that she went through all the trouble to take you to America. She obviously doesn't understand how magic works. You can't just stop it from happening. And I know that you have some kind of escape ready. I mean you're so good with scheming and plans that you could rob a bank if you wanted to. If you do end up leaving come to the Burrow. My mum would be ecstatic if you showed up. We're all a bit disappointed that you're not coming anymore. Anyways, you're coming to Hogwarts no matter what. I don't care if I have to drag you there myself. And you're telling Fred and I not to do anything stupid? We should be saying the same to you. So if you do manage to do something incredibly stupid then you will earn a smack from Fred and I. Also stay safe. I don't want anything to happen to you.
Love, Georgie

I smiled and put down the letter. Then I opened the package that Mrs. Weasley sent. Inside was some of her homemade fudge and some sandwiches. This would come in handy for what I have planned......

I hid the tin of food in my closet. I then put all of my letters in my pillow case and laid down. As my eyes began to close I thought back to the twins' letters. Fred and George was right. I did have a plan.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: So much for "family togetherness"