Chapter 3

Kathryn's POV

I woke up the next morning to the stupid alarm clock. After I threw it at the wall, my clock started making a clanging noise instead of ringing. I looked around my room bleary eyed. Sitting on the corner of my desk was a neat pile of letters that weren't there yesterday night.

Three envelopes sat there, each made of the same thick paper and green ink. I rushed over to the desk and picked one of the letters up. I held it in awe, tracing the green letters that read my name.

"KATHRYNNNNNNNN" my mother yelled. I heard her coming up the stairs.

Crap.

I quickly stuffed the letter under my mattress and sat down on my bed. My mother burst into the room, obviously expecting my to still be in bed. Her eyes scanned my room like they did every morning, looking for anything to criticize. Her eyes fell on the remaining envelopes on the desk. She snatched the letters up and glared at me.

"HOW DID THIS END UP IN YOUR ROOM? WHY THE HELL DO THEY KEEP SENDING YOU THESE? WHY WON'T THEY JUST GET A HINT? YOU'RE NOT GOING. SENDING MULTIPLE LETTERS ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE THAT."

I froze at her last words. "Going?" A million questions swirled in my head, each demanding an answer. My mother looked at me and paled, as if she just let me in on a terrible secret. She probably just did.

"Where am I going?"

Silence.

"WHERE AM I GOING? WHO IS SENDING THESE LETTERS? WHY WON'T YOU JUST LET ME READ ONE? WHAT IS SO INCREDIBLY TERRIBLE ABOUT THESE LETTERS?" The questions were coming out of my mouth faster than I could process them myself. My mother finally looked up.

"These letters aren't any of you're concern," she snapped.

"I beg to differ considering that they are addressed to me," I shot back with equal tone.

"You do not speak to an adult that way. You have lost all respect for the people who have authority and its unacceptable. I want you to stay in this room and think about your attitude lately because I will not tolerate this any longer." She walked out of the room, slamming my door behind her.

I can't believe her, I silently fumed, this is my life we're talking about. She can't make these life changing decisions for me. I should be able to decide if I want to go wherever the letter says I have to go.

As my attention turned back to the letters, I remembered the one I hid underneath my mattress. I lifted up the mattress and carefully pulled out the envelope. I listened for a moment just to be sure that my mother wasn't coming up for a second lecture. I gingerly slid my finger underneath the flap of the envelope, treating it like it could explode at any moment. Hey at this point anything is possible, a little voice in the back of my head told me. I broke the strange seal and the envelope popped open. The air turned warmer, almost as if I triggered something while opening the letter. I pulled out the thick piece of paper.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
*****************************
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Vance,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find an enclosed list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress

I stared in shock at the letter. We await your owl. School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Term begins on September 1. So many questions were racing through my head. Magic?

I couldn't possibly have magic. Magic doesn't exist right? It's all just a bunch of fairytales.

As if to contradict me, the books flew off the shelf, floating around the room. My shoes began to do a tap dance by themselves. The curtains blew around in the windless night. The temperature dropped. More of my possessions began to do unnatural things.

Am I really causing this?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: MAGIC. MAGIC. MAGIC.
Everything gets a whole lot interesting from here guys. She finally realizes she's a witch. Any questions?