Chapter 28

George's POV

After being home for a week, I was already starting to feel better. Today Ginny actually got Fred and I to laugh. I was also gaining back some of the weight I lost. I started to feel like myself again. Only I was half of myself. The other half of me was in a coma lying in the hospital wing at Hogwarts. Only when she woke up would I be whole again.

I remembered the day I got to say goodbye to her before I left. Nothing had changed with her condition at all. I had taken her hand and whispered, "When I come back I want you to be here. I want you to be awake. I want to see the light in your eyes. I want to hear the way you laugh when I'm being an idiot. I just want you back. Please Kat. Fight for you, and Fred, and me. Especially me because I need you." I squeezed her hand. I must have been imagining things because I felt her squeeze my hand back. I then kissed her forehead and walked out.

That was the thing that had been keeping me going the past week. The fact that she might be getting better. That she could be awake at this very moment.

It was the only thing I believed in. I sure hoped that my faith was enough to do it. If it didn't I'm not sure what else to do. I need her.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Fred's POV

The week George and I spent at home went by quickly. We were both getting loads better. Physically and emotionally. There was still a numbness I felt whenever I thought about Kat, but otherwise I was laughing and smiling for the first time in weeks.

In no time it was Sunday. I gave my mum, dad, Ginny, and Ron a hug goodbye. Before I left Ginny handed me a small package. "Give this to Kat when you get there. It's something really special." I nodded. Sometimes it was hard to believe that Ginny was only 8. She acted as if she was 12.

George and I grabbed a handful of flop powder. Together we threw it and shouted, "Professor Dumbledore's office."

The flamed engulfed us. We were spinning. Suddenly we came to a stop and flew out of Dumbledore's fireplace. "Welcome back boys," he said, "I'm glad to see that you're both doing better."

"Thank you sir. When is the soonest that we can see Kat."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Kat's POV

It felt as though my entire body was dipped in acid. The burning never went away. Eventually I found myself a corner in my mind where I could escape the burning. Where I could finally think clearly.

Sometimes when I was in my corner I could be aware of the things going on around me. Occasionally I felt a pair of hands on each of mine. I knew that Fred and George were there for me. They always were. I could faintly hear them talking. It was like whispers in the back of my head. I held on to them for fear that I would lose it if I didn't.

Multiply times I would try to reach out to them. I wanted to show them I was still there. That I was listening to every word. I tried and tried to do something. I wanted to move my hand or something, but I remained completely still.

Then came the few days of almost silence. I didn't hear Fred or George at all. At one point during the day Madam Pomfrey said, "Those boys have been worrying themselves sick. Literally sick." I immediately knew she was talking about my boys. Because I was like this, Fred and George were sick. If Hailey hadn't of hexed me........ Hailey. That stupid prat.

A couple days later things changed. Someone sat down beside me and took my hand. They began to talk. I tried to zone in on the words. To make them louder than a whisper. I concentrated and finally the last part of his conversation with me became loud and clear. "Please Kat. Fight for you, and Fred, and me. Especially me because I need you," George pleaded. He gave my hand a squeeze. I put all of my strength into the hand he was holding. I felt myself squeeze his hand. My strength faded. At least I made something out of it. It was worth it. "Kat?" I heard him whisper. "That's it Kat. I know that you're fighting in there. And I know you're listening. Keep fighting Kat. Never stop fighting. Please." I felt him kiss my forehead and disappear.

Surprisingly I got used to the loneliness. I hadn't heard Fred and George in days. They went somewhere. I just don't know where. Now it's just me and my mind. Those lonely days were when the dreams happened.

It was new for me. Everything had been black for so long, then suddenly I was seeing things in full color. Everything just went by in a blur. A red stone, a great big snake with yellow eyes, a beautiful hippogriff, a glowing blue cup, a sphere filled with a blue-silvery substance, a skull and snake in the sky above Hogwarts, and finally a burst of green and red and a deathly white figure falling to the ground. I was confused by these images. Oh well. I have plenty of time to figure it out in here.

After a while I got bored. It felt like I had spent an eternity alone. Cautiously I crept out of the little safe corner in my mind. I endured the burning for a moment. Then it disappeared almost completely. I sighed in relief. I could finally breath for again. I didn't feel trapped anymore. I felt a bit of my strength coming back to me.

I opened my eyes and saw the world again for the first time in months.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: Yes I realized I pulled some weird If I Stay crap. Don't judge me. I want to see you're guys comments on what happened in Kat's mind while she was in her coma.