Chapter 48 - Football Game

Kyle's POV

Something is bothering her. I know it. She has been very quiet since we got back from the restaurant. Is her period that bad? Should I ask her about it? Man, I don't know what to do.

"Is everything okay?" I finally man up to ask her the question.

"Huh?" She still is transferring her clothes to a carrier.

"You have been very quiet tonight. What's wrong?" I grip her arms to stop her from packing.

Lara surrenders and sits herself on the bed. I squat down with one knee in front of her, darting my eyes right onto hers.

"I met a woman at the restaurant and she kind of warned me about you." Lara finally speaks out.

"She warned you?" I tilt my head.

"She's a good looking woman with dark hair, around her thirties..." Lara suddenly stops her own words.

"What?" I take her hands.

When she laughs a little bit, I know that something funny is running on her mind.

"Wow! I sound like Monica describing a woman that she met in a restaurant that turns out to be Chandler's camp girlfriend. Well, ex-girlfriend." Lara is giggling then quickly shakes her head.

She begins again, "Anyway, she told me that you used her. Like she was your sex partner or something, after your wife died."

This can't be.

"Do you know who she is?" Lara squeezes my hands lightly.

Of course, I do.

"That's probably Jessica Charles." My all energy has puffed into the air just by saying her name.

"Your ex-girlfriend?"

"We're not even together." I shake my head.

"But you slept with her?" Lara senses that.

"Once, and I was really drunk." I confess.

I let out a big sigh to continue, "I knew she had a husband, so I apologize to her and called that a mistake. But, she was not sorry."

"Would you go out with her, if she wasn't married?" Lara asks me a funny question.

"No!"

"..."

"I guess her being married was a perfect excuse for me to get away with it." I let out my biggest confession yet.

Lara pulls me up to sit on her bed without breaking our eye contact and suddenly I feel much better. I could see a light disappointment on her eyes when she tilts her head to the left.

"So, you just ran after the sex?"

"Pretty much, yeah." I am so ashamed.

I fill my lungs with as much as air to be prepared for the worst, "I woke up at her place the next morning while she was preparing a breakfast in a kitchen."

"Her husband was in the house?" Lara gasps.

"No, he was out of town." I tell her.

"Oh, that makes sense." There's a mockery in her tone.

"I excused myself that morning and never spoke to her again until she showed up at my house, a couple days later." I shake my head to the bad memory.

"She went to your house?"

"Yeah, she was cooking dinner in the kitchen with the kids." I nod.

I begin again, "She was all being nice to me and the kids, after all."