Chapter 46 - Camera

Lara's POV

The  smell of the cookies is dancing with the cold air as I am crossing the street. I am sure that the kids will love this freshly baked peanut butter cookies. The kids are not allergic to peanuts, right? I am trying so hard to recall any of the information in my brain cells, but find none so far. As I knock the door with my knuckles, I breathe in the cold air to be calm.

"Lara!" Kennedy answers the door with a messy bun.

"Hey, Kenny!" I chirp.

"Come in!" She moves aside to let me in.

"Thank you!" I shake off the cold of my body.

"Lara?!" Kyle jumps off of the couch when he catches me walking into the living room with Kennedy.

"Lara!" Kat follows her dad soon after.

"Hi!" I chirp to the both of them. "I brought you guys cookies!"

"WOW!" Kennedy and Kat are fascinated at the same time.

"Where should I put this?"

"Here!" Kennedy and Kat are pointing the coffee table.

"Okay!" I walk up to the coffee table.

Once Kennedy and Katherine are busy stuffing themselves with cookies, Kyle sneaks his hand on my waist. I try to pull away, but Kyle is not letting me go that easily.

"Keith is not home." He says to my ear.

I look up to him to find his cheeky smile, "I know, but these little nuggets are here." I refer to Kennedy and Katherine.

"Lara, could you braid my hair? Please?" Kennedy suddenly turns around to ask me a favor.

"Of course, honey!" I smile to her.

"Would you braid my hair, too?" Katherine asks me the same favor.

"Sure!"

Kyle just drops his dad smile at his daughters then slowly pans his eyes back to me to steal a glance behind his thick lashes.

"I'll go get the brush and the elastics!" Kennedy volunteers.

"Honey, don't forget the bobby pins." I remind Kennedy.

"Okay." She is running upstairs with a full mouth of cookie.

"Can I have another cookie?" Kat asks her dad.

"One more." Kyle strokes Kat's head.

"Do you have a jar to store them?" I refer to the cookies.

"Yeah." Kyle steals a kiss from my cheek in front of Kat.

I gasp to Kyle's action and watch him run to the kitchen in shock. My eyes run down to Kat in a hurry to find out her expression which is not much. She just keeps looking at me with a cookie in her hand.

When Kat smiles at me, my heart melts. I grab my own knees to level my eyes with Kat.

"It's a secret!" I wink at her with my index finger on my lips.

"Secret!" She copies me.

Once Kyle is back with a jar in his hand, I silently scold him with a glare. Unfortunately, he clearly doesn't give a fuck about it. He places the jar on the coffee table and sinks into the couch to store the cookies with Kat on his side. I roll my eyes at him and give up.

"Lara, can you do a French braid?" Kennedy returns with a purple box.

"Yes." I turn to her.

"No French braids!" Kyle suddenly is bothered.