Chapter 44 - Pink Ones

Lara's POV

Once I hear the door is being slammed, I grab Kyle by the arm and push him to duck behind the kitchen counter. I mouth the word 'sorry' to him when I see a shock in his eyes.

"Hey!" Keith chirps with a plastic bag in his hand.

"Hi!" Wow. I am being too loud.

"I got you the sour patch!" He starts to walk his bare feet into the living room.

I quickly walk up to him so, he won't have to come to kitchen and find his dad hiding in my kitchen.

"Aw, thanks!" I link my arm to his and lead him to the couch.

"I am so thirsty." Keith removes my hand from his arm and gets back to his feet to walk into the kitchen.

"No, you can't!" Again, I am being too loud.

"What?" Keith snorts.

"You know what?" I don't even know what else to say.

Keith puts his hands on his waist as I am freaking out. Why can't he get some water? It doesn't make any sense to just say no to that.

"Red?!" Keith taps his foot on the floor.

"You!" I force him to sit back on the couch. "I am going to fetch you some water."

"I can go get it myself." He giggles.

"Oh, but I insist, my friend." I laugh at myself. "You already ran to the store to get me the sour patch, now I am going to get you some water!"

"Okay!" Keith raises his eyebrows but lets me anyway.

I spread my smile then turn to the kitchen with a relief. That was really close. Once I enter the kitchen, my eyes spot Kyle behind the kitchen counter. I show my palms to him to make him wait still while I move my feet to the fridge.

"Did Gloria kill the dog?" Keith is focused on the TV.

"No." I am startled by his voice.

"But she killed the rat!" Keith is being dramatic.

"She just took the dog and gave it to her friend at the farm or something." I fetch a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Oh!" Keith exclaims.

When I turn around to walk back into the living room, I could see Kyle's shoe by the wall just underneath the window. If Keith turned his head to the kitchen, he could totally see the shoe lying on the floor.

I casually walk pass Kyle to get to his shoe.

"I thought she really killed the dog." Keith suddenly turns his head to check on me.

"No, she didn't!" I slide to the right to cover Kyle's shoe behind my ankles.

Once Keith has his eyes back on the TV, I silently pass the shoe back to its owner with my right foot. As it slides over to Kyle's side, it makes a scratchy sound on my wooden floor. Damn that stupid leather shoe!

"What's that sound?" Keith once again turns his head.

"The TV?" I jog to get back to him.

"No."

"Here's your water!" I present it to him with the both of my hands.

"Thanks!"

Keith is gulping that water like he's never had water washing down his throat before. I watch him as he's empting half of the bottle down.

"What?" He puts the cap back on.

"What?"

"Why are you staring at me?" He giggles.