Chapter 14 - Busy, Busy, Busy

"Oh wow. A whole 3 hours sleep." Olivia said sarcastically and she walked into the common room and went straight to grab some coffee.
"Ooo pancakes!" She said happily, seeing Cruz cooking breakfast for everyone. He smiled and grabbed a plate before he put together a meal for her. A minute later he handed her the plate.
"Thank you." She said like a little kid. She grabbed a fork before she sat down at the table with her coffee and pancakes. After pretty much inhaling half of the pancakes, Olivia almost cried when the alarm sounded.

Ambulance 67. Person in distress at the 21st District.

"Ahh man..." Olivia wined, looking sadly at her pancakes.
"I'll make you some more when you get back." Cruz told her, making Olivia grin.
"Thanks." She said as she headed out with Chase.
"I'll drive." She said, holding her hands out for the keys. Chase threw them to her before they climbed into the ambo.
"District...isn't that an abnormal call?" Olivia asked, as she pulled out of the firehouse.
"We get them occasionally." Chase stated, flicking on the lights and sirens.
"I'll tell you what...I did not miss having non-stop call out on shifts. Haven't had a shift this busy in ages." Chase told his partner.
"Same!" She laughed. It wasn't long before they were arriving at the 21st district.

It turns out that someone had walked into the station asking for help as they didn't feel well. They had called for the ambulance and sat him down. After assessing the man, they transported him to Chicago Med to get checked out as his heart rate was elevated. Almost straight away they had been assigned a new job and were back out in the field. They had been called out to a car collision involving multiple cars. Arriving on scene, Olivia and Chase saw that the call was worse than they had originally been informed.
"Ambulance 67 to main. We've just arrived on scene. We're definitely going to need at least 3 more ambulances on scene. We've got at least 5 victims." Chase said into his radio as soon as they got out of the ambulance.
"Copy that 67."
"You start triage. I'm going to make sure all the cars are safe." Olivia said pulling on her turnout jacket. Chase nodded and grabbed one of the kit bags before they went off in separate directions. Olivia grabbed her gloves and went to the closest car. She popped the hood open before she used her Stanley knife to cut the wires leading to the battery. She then moved onto the next car and did the same. There were 4 cars in total.
"Please...help me." The lady driver called.
"Someone's coming okay? I'll be right back." Olivia said, squeezing her hand that the women had gripped onto to. Chase came up behind her and took over.
"How's it looking?" She asked her partner.
"We've got 6 victims in total. 4 greens. 1 yellow. This one might be red." Chase said upon examining the lady. Olivia nodded and looked around at the other cars.
"Shit. That can't be good." Olivia said, seeing smoke coming from the remaining car that she had yet to sort out.
"You gonna be alright?" She asked, knowing that this lady was critical.
"Yeah, yeah. Go. Use the fire extinguisher in the ambo." Chase said as Olivia stood up. She nodded and ran off back to the ambulance. She grabbed the small fire extinguisher from one of the side compartments of the ambulance before she ran over to the remaining car.
"Help's coming alright. I need to deal with this first." Olivia told the two people in the car. They were pinned as the driver's side door was all dented inwards and the passenger side was blocked by another car. Olivia dumped the extinguisher and ran to the back of the car. She was looking for something to use to pop the hood as she had to be careful. She found a crow bar and used it to open the hood. She quickly grabbed the extinguisher and used it to put out the flames. Once she was sure that they were out, she used her blade to cut the wires to the cars battery. That's when sirens could be heard getting closer and closer.
As Truck 81 and Squad 3 pulled up on scene with more ambulances behind them, Olivia ran over to them.
"What have we got?" Severide asked, as Olivia, himself and Casey gathered together.
"I've cut all the battery wires and that red car was on fire but I managed to put the flames out. We have a total of 6 victims. 4 greens. 1 yellow. 1 red - that's who Chase is with now." Olivia said in a rush, pulling off her gloves and turnout jacket and throwing them into the ambulance before she ran off to Chase.
"How's she doing?" She asked kneeling down.
"Her pulse is tachy and her B/P is slowly dropping. We need to get her out." Chase said quietly, turning away from the women. Olivia nodded.
"Severide! We need to get this one out first!" She shouted over to him. He nodded and came over with his men.
"The easiest thing to do would be pop this door off and lift the dash. We need to get her out fast so the quicker you can the better." Chase told him. Severide assessed the car before he agreed. Capp, grab the jaws. Tony grab the chains and pulley." He shouted. They nodded and went to the truck.
"Here." Severide said, pulling out his blade and cutting the woman's seatbelt.

Squad got to work and within 15 minutes, the woman was free from the car and on the way to med.
"How's she doing?" Olivia asked, as she focused on driving. Her SAT's and B/P are dropping. I can only push so much fluids. How far out are we?" Chase questioned.
"2 blocks." Olivia said, continuing to weave through traffic. As soon as the got to Med, they unloaded their patient and rushed her inside. Will was standing by with a team of doctors and nurses ready for the handover. Once they had given all the necessary information, they took their gear and left the room. Chase stayed inside to finish off the paperwork as Olivia took their gurney outside and sorted out their equipment.
"Well hey stranger." She heard a familiar voice from behind her. Olivia smiled and turned around. Antonio was stood by one of the doors.
"Hey." She grinned, moving to jump down out of the rig.
"What are you doing here?" She asked him as she changed the sheet on the gurney.
"A suspect was brought in. Me and Burgess were sent to question him. She's grabbing some coffee so I thought I'd come say hi." He explained.
"Well hi." Olivia said, making them chuckle.
"We still on for dinner tomorrow?" He asked her.
"Yeah." Olivia smiled before she put the gurney away.
"Great, see you at 7?" He checked.
"Yeah." Olivia nodded.
"Bye." He said as Burgess came back over. Olivia gave her a small wave as the pair headed off. Chase was heading back over to the rig.
"Was the lover boy?" He teased, causing Olivia to lob a packet of gauze at him. Chase caught them and threw them back. Olivia smirked and put them away before she climbed back out the back of the ambulance and closed the doors. Chase was grinning.
"Shut up." Olivia smirked, shaking her head. The pair got into the ambulance and headed back to the firehouse.

———————————————————
I'm back!!! Hey guys, sorry it took so long to write this book, I'm trying to move it along a bit as it's not where I thought it would be by now but hey-ho! Updates will still be slow but hope you like it! x

———————————————————I'm back!!! Hey guys, sorry it took so long to write this book, I'm trying to move it along a bit as it's not where I thought it would be by now but hey-ho! Updates will still be slow but hope you like it! x