Chapter 40 - In The Deep End

Bright and early that morning, Olivia was knocking on Boden's door. He waved her in.
"You wanted to see me Chief?" Olivia asked as she stood in front of his desk.
"I just wanted to see how you were doing with it being your first shift back and all." Boden explained.
"I'm doing okay Chief...ready to be back." Olivia told him.
"Good. It's good to have you back." He smiled.
"Anything else Chief?"
"No, that's it Fuller, thank you." Boden dismissed her. Olivia smiled before she turned around and walked out of his office, heading to the kitchen for coffee.
"Liv, good to see you back." Casey said happily as he joined her in getting a cup of coffee.
"How you feeling?" He asked her quietly.
"Good all things considered. I feel ready to be back." Olivia explained to her Captain.
"Good." Casey nodded.
"I've cleared it with Boden, I'd like you to be in charge of 81 today. I'll be shadowing all shift if you feel up to it." Casey told her.
"Really? Okay." Olivia agreed.
"Great. Once everyone's here we'll get going with the normal stuff." Casey told her before he walked off, leaving Liv standing there with her coffee in her hands.
"Okay then..." She mumbled quietly to herself. She took some time to herself to enjoy her coffee and send off a quick message to Antonio reassuring him once again that she was okay and ready to be back at work before she went to get everyone out onto the apparatus floor for equipment checks. A few minutes later, everyone was gathered by the truck.
"Right guys. Liv's in charge of 81 today, I'll be shadowing." Casey announced to everyone.
"Jeez Casey, really throwing me in the deep end this shift, aren't ya?" Olivia laughed.
"You've only been in charge when I'm not around and I've heard great things. It's time I see you in charge in person." Casey put it simply.
"Right." Olivia nodded.
"So treat me like anyone else on truck. I'll only step in if I think I need to." Casey told her.
"Okie dokie." Olivia grinned, suddenly having an idea in her head.
"I'm going to regret saying that aren't I?" Casey asked the others.
"Definitely." Gallo nodded.
"Everyone on truck equipment checks. Casey, detail cleaning the inside of the truck." Olivia smirked, holding out the bucket with the supplies in. Casey was speechless.
"What? You said treat you like anyone else on the truck. If you weren't there I'd be making one of them do it." Olivia laughed. Casey just laughed and shook his head as he took the bucket and got to work. Olivia grinned at Severide as she started filling out some of the daily checks paperwork.

A few hours later, everyone was either grabbing a bite to eat or resting between calls.
"Herrmann, can I ask you something?" Olivia asked him as she walked into the bunk area. (A/N: Obviously in this story Herrmann doesn't have his own quarters as Casey is still there :))
"Sure kid." He smiled.
"Err, in private?" She asked, glancing at the others around them. He nodded and followed her into the locker room.
"So, obviously we're doing some last-minute wedding planning considering it's less than 8 weeks away now. Anyway, I've been thinking about it for a while and I've spoken to Antonio about it...I'd like you to walk me down the aisle, alongside Travis, at our wedding." She asked him. Herrmann looked at her speechless.
"Really?" He asked her with a massive smile on his face.
"Yeah. You've been a father figure to me ever since I moved here and you've always had my back." She told him.
"I'd be honoured to kid." He said happily. Olivia smiled as he pulled her into a tight hug.
"Love you." He told her.
"Hmm, love you too." She told him as she squeezed him tightly. After a minute they pulled apart.
"Jeez, I told myself I wouldn't cry asking you." Olivia laughed as she wiped away a stray tear. Herrmann laughed as she quickly wiped her eyes right as another call came in.

Truck 81, Ambulance 67. House fire.
9876 McKay Avenue.

"Gotta go." Olivia grinned as she jumped into action and started jogging to the truck. She kicked off her boots and pulled on her turnout gear as everyone else ran over and did the same. Less than a minute after the call came in, Truck 81 was pulling out of the firehouse, closely followed by Ambulance 67.

The next morning, after a fairly busy shift which kept them out of the firehouse most of the night, everyone was glad to finish. After dragging herself to the gym for the first time in a while. Olivia ran some errands which included buying groceries and picking up a few other things, she headed home. After showering and freshening up, Olivia made herself something to eat before she made herself busy. She had some things to sort out around the house in preparation for Chase coming to stay with them. Later that day, Antonio returned home from work and found Olivia in the spare room. He stood talking to her.
"So I spoke to Herrmann today. You know, about walking me down the aisle. He said he'd be honoured." Olivia told Antonio happily as he stood in the doorway, watching her organize the spare room for the hundredth time.
"Were there tears?" Antonio teased.
"No."
"Maybe. Okay, yes." Olivia laughed, not being able to lie about it. Antonio chuckled.
"So that's it for the wedding then...now just the countdown." Antonio said excitedly.
"Yeah." Olivia grinned.
"Liv, the room is perfect, come and get some sleep." Antonio finally told his fiancé, deciding that it was time they both went to bed. He had not long gotten in from work and he knew Olivia had spent the rest of the day, after finishing her shift that morning, making sure that everything was ready for Chase to come and stay with them.
"I've stocked the on-suit for him. Towels, toiletries etc. And I finally hooked up the firestick and DVD player to the TV." Olivia told him. They had had the devices for a while but hadn't gotten round to setting it up yet.
"Uhh, fine." Olivia finally gave in as she realised what he had said was true. She would be lying if she said she wasn't a little nervous for tomorrow. It was a big day. Chase was finally getting out of rehab and coming to stay with them. He was halfway through his minimum requirement from the department of 60 days clean and getting back to the real world played an even bigger step in this entire process.