Chapter 30 (Part 1) - Three Strikes

It was the start of a brand-new shift. Everyone was in the meeting room giving their normal morning briefing from Chief Boden.
"...and one last thing." Boden stated, as everyone got ready to leave from the morning briefing.
"It is my honour to announce that Olivia Fuller has been promoted to Lieutenant." Boden said, making Olivia almost spit out her coffee.
"What now?" She asked, shocked.
"The department has been really impressed with your actions since joining 51. They looked into your history with SFD and decided to promote you." Boden explained as he handed Olivia her new badge. Olivia smiled as she picked up the badge and held it in her hands.
"Lieutenant? Does that mean I have to transfer?" Olivia asked, not wanting to leave 51.
"No. The department is happy to keep you on the Truck as Casey is a Captain. They won't be forcing you anywhere." Boden reassured her.
"Thank you Chief." Olivia smiled, still in shock.
"That's all. Remember vehicle clean-outs by the end of shift." Boden reminded everyone as he dismissed them.
"Way to go Liv!" Severide cheered as he came up behind her and hugged her. Olivia smiled.
"I can't believe this." She stated.
"Well believe it kid, you deserve it!" Herrmann said, squeezing her shoulders. Some of the others congratulated Olivia as they all headed out of the meeting room.
"Can we help you?" Casey asked, spotting some random guy up ahead.
"Kevin Mulgrew. I'm here to cover Ambulance 67." The guy introduced himself.
"You're late. Shift started 20 minutes ago." Casey said un-impressed.
"Right, sorry about that. They told me the wrong firehouse." He clearly lied. Olivia rolled her eyes.
"I'm just going to call Antonio then we'll have that chat." She told Casey. He had told her he wanted to have a chat about giving her a few responsibilities now she was a Lieutenant. He nodded and stayed to deal with the cover as Olivia headed outside. She pulled her phone from her pocket and called Antonio.
"Hey, you, is everything alright?" Antonio asked as the line connected.
"Yeah, everything's fine. I just have something to tell you." Olivia said excitedly.
"And what would that be?"
"So I just found out I've been promoted to Lieutenant." Olivia told him.
"Really?! That's great news. Congratulations babe!" Antonio exclaimed happily.
"The best part is I get to stay at 51 on Truck as Casey is a Captain. Boden said the department is happy for me to stay. Casey even said he wants to give me a few responsibilities." Olivia explained to him.
"That's great!" Antonio said supportively.
"Yeah. It will probably be completing equipment checks and stuff like that. Just lighten his load a little. He mentioned something about helping Severide as well, but I'll find out more after our chat." Olivia told him.
"I'm really proud of you babe." He said, making Olivia smile.
"Anyway I better get back. I'll see you after your shift tomorrow?" Olivia asked him. Her shift ran through to the morning, but he was working so she probably wouldn't see him until the evening.
"Yeah. I'll let you know if I can slip out for lunch, and we can grab a bite to eat or something." He told her.
"Okay. I love you, stay safe." She told him.
"You too." He responded, before they ended the call. Olivia slipped her phone into her pocket as she headed back inside.
"-I don't care who you are. I'm the PIC, you listen to me. If I tell you to do something, do it." Olivia overheard Riley saying as she walked past the ambulance.
"Everything alright?" Olivia asked as she stood near the back of the ambulance. Riley looked at Kevin before she looked at Olivia.
"Yeah." Riley told her. It wasn't a good sign that the cover medic already seemed to be causing issues when he had only been there for ten minutes. Olivia nodded and headed towards Casey's office for their chat.

Knocking on the door as she got there, Casey waved her in.
"There she is, our new Lieutenant." Casey said proudly. Olivia smiled and laughed a little as she sat down on his bunk.
"It's going to take a while to get used to hearing that." Olivia laughed. Casey smiled as he turned around and grabbed some papers from his desk.
"So I thought I'd put you in charge of vehicle checks. That includes every vehicle, not just truck. Purely for the fact that you have experience on Ambo as well." Casey told her as he handed over a piece of paper with the checklist and relevant information on it.
"Okay, I'm cool with that." Olivia agreed, happy to help out.
"Also, I'm away for two shifts at the end of next week, so you'll be filling in as Lieutenant." he told her.
"Okay." Olivia said, just as the alarm sounded, calling Truck and Ambulance out. Olivia jumped up and followed Casey out. She chucked the papers on her bunk as they headed to the vehicles.

Just over an hour later they were done at the call and cleaning up. Two cars had crashed. Nobody was seriously hurt but Truck were needed to extricate the victims from one of the cars due to the damage. Olivia and Casey were loading some of the gear back into the Truck as the others cleared up the mess on the road. Casey was listening to how Mulgrew was talking to Riley as they treated two of the victims.
"Hey, Mulgrew! That's strike one! Two more and you're out." Casey snapped, having heard the way he just spoke to his superior.
"Strike system?" Olivia asked him quietly.
"Boden's idea. Mulgrew doesn't have the best rep." Casey explained as they continued putting the gear away.
"Only me, you, Herrmann and Severide can use it." Casey added. Olivia nodded and went off to help the others collect all the gear.

Later that day, Olivia was in charge of making sure everyone was completing equipment checks. Truck were pretty good at getting them done so she wasn't really in charge of anything.
"Oh my god dude, just shut up. You're here on assignment. I don't care what you think of the place." Riley snapped as she jumped out the back of the ambulance.
"That Lieutenant you're talking about is a better person or firefighter than you'll ever be. Yes, she's new to the role but she has years of experience on the job. One of which was that five-alarm skyscraper fire in Seattle. So shut your mouth, or there's the fucking door." Riley snapped, loud enough for the others to hear her. Olivia put down the tool in her hand and glanced back at Severide. He got up and walked over with Olivia to the ambulance.
"Hey Mulgrew, that's strike two." Olivia glared at him.
"I'd watch it if I were you, you're on thin ice. One more slip up, and you're out." Severide warned him as Olivia walked off. She went back to the tool she was working on.

To be continued...

——————————————————
A/N – So I split chapter 30 into two parts purely for the fact that it was over double the length I normally aim for in as chapter. By splitting it, it means I have more chapters to post so hopefully the wait between reach chapter won't be soo long with how busy I am right now.
Also in this story, Kidd won't become a Lieutenant (at least not yet, maybe in book 2), purely for the fact that I don't want there to be too many Lieutenants in one house. Not that I don't love Stella, I just obviously want to make my own character one first haha!
Thanks for reading! Part 2 coming soon!!

 Not that I don't love Stella, I just obviously want to make my own character one first haha!Thanks for reading! Part 2 coming soon!!