Chapter 20 - The Truth

A week had passed, Travis had gone back to Seattle after a few days and Olivia had gone to the hospital to speak with Chaplain Kyle Sheffield. As much as she didn't want to talk, Olivia knew it was the only way she'd get back to work and more importantly, she hoped it would help her move on from everything. It was Friday morning and Olivia was sitting in the Chaplains office as they had their 2nd meeting of the week.
"I haven't told you everything yet..." Olivia said quietly whilst fiddling with the ring on her finger. Kyle looked at Olivia and waited for her to continue, he knew this wasn't easy for her.
"Take your time." He reassured her. Olivia took in a deep shaky breath.
"That day...I didn't just get hurt..." She started. She looked up at Kyle.
"I found out when I was in the hospital that I was..."
"I was pregnant...and the impact- I had a miscarriage." She cried. Kyle moved to sit next to her.
"It's my fault...I should've known. I should've gotten out sooner." Olivia cried.
"No...Olivia look at me." Kyle said, comforting her.
"None of that was your fault. You didn't know you were pregnant. And you didn't know that debrief was going to fall. This wasn't your fault." He told her. Olivia shook her head and stood up suddenly.
"I have to go." She said, walking quickly to the door. Her hand reached for the handle.
"Olivia-" Kyle tried to call, but it was too late, she had left. Kyle sighed. It was going to take a lot to help Olivia, especially as she didn't like opening up about things.

Olivia walked quickly out of the hospital. She took in a deep breath as she got into the fresh air. Not wanting anyone to see her like this, Olivia quickly went and got in her car. Her phone started vibrating. Looking down at the caller, Olivia saw that it was Casey and decided to ignore it as she thought he'd be calling about her walking out, something of which the Chaplin had to inform either Casey or Boden of as her counselling was mandatory if she wanted to go back to work. When he called again a few seconds later she sighed and answered the phone through the car's system as she cleaned up her face.
"Hey Casey." She said, whilst putting her hair up into a messy bun.
"Hi. I know you're not working but you have a visitor at the firehouse." Casey explained.
"Who?" Olivia asked, as she wiped her eyes.
"Ryan Tanner." Casey stated. Olivia sighed.
"Oh, okay. I'll come by now. Thanks Casey." Olivia said before she hung up. She pinched the bridge of her nose before she closed the sun shield/mirror and pulled away from the hospital. Within 10 minutes she was arriving outside the hospital and saw Ryan leaning against a car outside. She slung her sunglasses on before she climbed out of her car.
"What are you doing here Tanner?" She questioned, crossing her arms against her chest.
"I wanted to talk to you." Ryan said, pushing himself up off the car.
"What about?" Olivia questioned, not really in the mood for talking, especially to Ryan.
"Liv..." He started, not wanting to do it in public.
"Fine, yeah. Follow behind." Oliva agreed, walking back over to her car. Olivia got in her car and waited until she saw Ryan was ready before she pulled off down the street.

As she didn't live that far from the firehouse, they arrived within 10 minutes. Olivia got out of her car and grabbed her bag before she walked up to the front door of her apartment. She unlocked the door and walked in, letting Ryan follow behind her. She dumped her shoes, bag and jacket by the door before she walked into the open kitchen/living room area.
"Nice place." Ryan observed, standing awkwardly in the corner of the room.
"What do you want Ryan?" Olivia asked, leaning against the kitchen counter.
"I wanted to check up on you. You've been dodging my calls and texts Liv. After everything that happened I would have thought you'd at least give me that." Ryan said slightly annoyed. Olivia sighed.
"I came here for a fresh start Ryan." Olivia said.
"I still care about you Liv."
"Ryan, I'm with someone else now...please don't..." Olivia said, wiping her eyes as they became watery.
"What changed?" Ryan asked seriously.
"What do you mean?" Olivia asked, although she had a pretty good idea she knew what he meant.
"I get that what you went through was tough Liv. I get that. But what I don't get is what changed in the hospital. One day you were glad to see me then the next you didn't want to see me or talk to me." Ryan said, raising his voice a little.
"You want to know what changed?!" Olivia snapped, taking Ryan back by surprise.
"I found out I was pregnant...but I lost it due to everything that happened. That's what changed Ryan!" Olivia shouted, before she quickly walked away down the corridor. She walked into the bathroom and slammed the door. She locked it before she slid down against it, pulling her knees to her chest. She rested her face on her knees as the tears fell and she started sobbing.