Chapter 87: What Happened To John?

--------------------------------------------

"We can officially declare the VMAs a huge success," said Blaine, taking a seat in front of Sebastian at the latter's desk. "Our artists thrive at these big award shows. I mean, Billboard called Blackbird one of the top 5 labels of the decade. Top 5. That's incredible. Especially since many industry people still consider us small and local."

"We're gonna push for more," Sebastian nodded. "But our sales are up for now and that's great. With Julie back at number one this week we secure another victory for us."

"And it's great for her career," Blaine said. "Icon status solidified."

"Any luck reaching John?" asked Sebastian. "He's been MIA for week with a new tour to promote."

Blaine exhaled heavily, reaching up to rub the back of his neck as he answered, "No... Unfortunately, all we have is a text from last night saying he was fine. But we don't know where he is or when he's coming back."

Sebastian rolled his eyes. "This is a tantrum over losing the label. We gave him the news and he disappeared. Typical petulant popstar behavior. But he'll come around. When it comes down to it, none of them can stand being away from the limelight for too long."

***

"So you really think this is gonna work?" asked Albany as she, Marley, Leo and Finn walked up to the entrance of Rinky Dinks, a hole in the wall roller skating arena that Finn had only been to a handful of times, many years ago. The others had never even heard of it. 

"Well, the rest of this mall strip around is empty," said Finn. "That's about two hundred acres in total. I mean, we can have a huge school and fill it with all kinds of different resources."

"How much is it going to cost us?" asked Leo. "Because we'd still have to think about all the money that'll go into renovations and hiring and enrollment and... We still have a long way to go to get everything ready within a year from now."

"Well, the board has approved a million dollars just for the lot alone," said Finn. 

"By the board you mean Kitty," Marley noted.

"Right," Finn admitted. "She kinda took over the vote on that one. But that's what I'm estimating a lot this big to cost us anyway. And once we walk in here and convince the owner to sell Rinky Dinks to us, we can take down the lot and start building us a school! Isn't that exciting?"

The others responded with mixed emotions as Albany said, "Well, how are we going to make our pitch? Because from what I researched, this rink has been here for two decades despite not making any profits. How do we convince someone like that to sell to us?"

"Well," Finn smiled as he began to pull the front doors open. "It just so happens that the owner and I go way back."

***