Chapter 71: The Art of a Diss Track

-------------------------------------------------

John woke up in a hotel room, unsure which one or whose room he was in. His head was on fire and he could feel his eyes burning, but the sun outside was beaming too brightly for him to remain asleep.

As he sat up, he realized he was not alone. Sitting in the corner of the room, with a computer on her lap, Mandy was focused on work, unaware that he had woken up.

"What's happening...?" he mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

She glanced up immediately and set her laptop aside, getting out of her seat and saying, "Oh good. You're up."

"Where am I?" he asked her, sitting up as slowly as he could to avoid the throbbing in his head increasing. 

"Your house, John," Mandy let out a deep breath.

He glanced around, trying to focus in on the room. It was one of his guest rooms. Not a hotel room.

"You must've crashed in here," Mandy went on. "I called a bunch of times and tried to track you down but everyone in LA said you had left before the night was over and people saw you at the airport. Then Travis said you texted him to come hang out at six in the morning."

"What?" John said, none of that sounding familiar to him.

"You don't remember last night, do you?" Mandy frowned.

"I..." he hesitated, trying to concentrate on the memories flashing through his mind all at once. "Kind of... Not really... I went to the Oscars. I was supposed to present an award."

"Yeah, you kind of went off book a little bit," Mandy said, walking towards him and trying to be as delicate as possible. "You, uh, got drunk. And umm... When Julie won an Oscar you stormed in during her speech and told everyone she was essentially a fraud and the sex tape was real. Then it seems like you took off and didn't present whatever category you were supposed to. Just got on a plane and came home."

John stared at Mandy for a second, unsure if she was telling the truth. But her deadpan expression made it clear she wasn't joking at all.

"God..." he muttered to himself, sitting at the edge of the bed and burying his face in hands. "On TV?"