Chapter 68: You're In Over Your Head

--------------------------------------

"Julie!" Quinn beamed, overjoyed at the sight of Julie walking into the JV Records board room. "Thank god you made it. We're so sorry we had to call you in during your honeymoon."

"It's fine," said Julie, who had been relieved when the call came the previous night. "So what exactly is going on?"

She noted Marisol's entrance, just seconds after her own. The last time the UMG woman had appeared before it was with bad news and this clearly was no exception by the look on Santana's face.

"Hello ladies," said Marisol. "I'm sorry to meet you under such circumstances again. Unfortunately, I'm here to inform you that due to your label's failure to present us with Juliet's new album by the end of February, as instructed to last month, UMG is no longer interested in our partnership with you. We intend to fully drop JV Records and all its artists from our roster."

"What?!" Julie, Quinn and Santana exclaimed in unison.

Quinn shook her head, "What happened to absorbing us into the parent label?" 

"That offer won't be on the table for much longer," Marisol responded. "You get to keep your label. Like you wanted. But you won't rely on us for investment or resources of any kind now. And you won't work with Island Records either for distribution. Here's how we intend to settle."

She placed an unsigned check on the table past them. 

The women all turned to it. "Are you kidding me?" Santana looked back at Marisol. "That's nothing."

Quinn added, "Our lease is up in a month. This won't even cover half of the renewal cost to keep operating in this building. And we have albums to produce and marketing to pay for."

"Then I hope your current work out can help make your money back," Marisol sighed. "You were very passionate about making hits with your artists. I'm sure you can keep producing said hits. And here are any buyout contracts for the work we already own."

She put a stack of papers next to the check. Quinn began looking it over.

"You can take back the rights if you can produce the money," said Marisol. "Otherwise, we'll be expecting you to finish the works you currently had in progress. Such as your album, Miss Vasquez. Or is that... Mrs. Lockwood now?"