Chapter 43: Ha Ha Ha

-------------------------

"I realized what's wrong with my songs," Julie said as she walked into Sebastian's apartment on Monday morning, refreshed from a weekend of working hard on her album and upcoming performance.

"Julie, wow," Sebastian said from the couch, pushing the man who was sitting on him away and wiping his mouth. He waved the man away and the guy retreated into the bedroom.

"I take it that's not your son," she said, laughing as the stranger shut the bedroom door. "Hooker?"

"A friend, actually," said Sebastian. "Just someone I've been sorta seeing. And my son is at daycare. But that doesn't matter. What the hell are you doing here?"

"I had to see you," said Julie.

"In Lima," said Sebastian. "You have several interviews and appearances in Los Angeles this week."

"Oh I know, and I'll make it to most of them," said Julie, making him scowl. "But I had to talk to you and I didn't wanna do it over the phone. I've been listening to all the unfinished songs and doing my best to give them what I thought they needed but as much as I've changed and tried to make them better, I realized that the problem wasn't with the vocals or the lyrics... It's the production."

"The production?" he said.

"Yeah," she nodded. "I worked with so many different people on these twelve songs and it just all sounds wrong. I need a producer to work with me on all the tracks I've gotten so far and we need to re-record everything and give it a fresh sound. I need someone who gets me, ok? Who gets what I'm trying to do here and who can give the album that final thing it needs to be truly special before I send it in."  

"We have a list of approved producers waiting to hear from you," Sebastian reminded her. "You just have to choose one."

Julie shook her head, "You're gonna think this is a crazy choice but... I have just the person for the job. How do you feel about me recording this entire album and working on some new songs with... John Brown."

"John Brown?" Sebastian laughed in Julie's face.

"Yes, John Brown," Julie said, rolling her eyes.