Chapter 17: Midnight

BEFORE

"This last song," said Alex, which immediately led the audience to start cheering. He could see crying faces in the front section and still he continued, "This last one is a song that I wrote with Sam."

From the opposite end of the stage, Sam wiped sweat from his forehead and prepared. This would be the last song of the last concert at their last tour. He was drained and ready to finish but really not ready at all.

"And it's fitting that this is the song we close each night with," Alex said, "because tonight we get to close this whole tour and a big chapter of our lives with it. And we mean every word. So let's get those lighters out and cellphones and glow sticks in the air. This is Stolen."

John watched in awe as the stadium filled with light from nearly every seat of this sold out, fifty thousand people final concert.

Maybe the guys would get together in the Spring for an official farewell concert. But if that didn't happen, this was it. The very last song Crystal Army got to perform.

["Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional.]

John: We watch the season pull up its own stakes. And catch the last weekend of the last week. Before the gold and the glimmer have been replaced. Another sun soaked season fades away.

From the very edge of the stage, John reached out to touch some fans' hands, making them scream and even faint. Then he returned a few steps back to where the other guys were gathering.

John with Crystal Army: You have stolen my heart... You have stolen my heart...

Tyler sang his part and didn't make eye contact with the other guys. He was ready to finish this already and stop pretending they weren't eager to get out of there. The last couple of weeks finishing up the tour had been brutal.

Tyler (with Crystal Army): Invitation only, grand farewells. (Crash the best one, of the best ones.) Clear liquor and cloudy-eyed, too early to say goodnight...

For John, especially, feeling responsible for all of this, it was important that this last song be special for everyone involved. He'd never liked the idea of a slow song closing their concerts but now it felt fitting.

John with Crystal Army: You have stolen my heart... You have stolen my heart...

During his solo, Alex moved around the stage a little and then ended up next to Sam.

Alex: And from the ballroom floor we are in celebration. One good stretch before our hibernation. 

He gave him a little pat in the arm and Sam couldn't help but smile, putting an arm around his pal who had cut the cord too early. 

Alex: Our dreams assured and we all, will sleep well... Sleep well. 

He was still mad about the Starstruck interview but it was time to let that go and move forward.

Alex with Crystal Army: Sleep well... Sleep well... Sleep well...

"Let's hear it loud, come on!" exclaimed Alex, pointing his microphone to the crowd for them to sing along as loud as they could.

John and the crowd (Crystal Army): You have stolen (my....) You have stolen (my....) You have stolen (my....) You have stolen my... heart!

As John held on an incredibly long high note, Sam sang his solo and the crowd cheered them on, knowing it was just a matter of seconds now.

Sam: I watch you spin around in your highest heels. You are the best one, of the best ones. We all look like we feel.

And then a chorus.