Chapter 84: Lights Out Part 2

The lights flickered back on after a moment, but then the noise from the backup generators was heard all across the first floor as those shattered and the power once again left the building.

When it was dark again, and this time for more than five seconds, it became clear they had lost electricity for good.

"Oh god," Kayli gasped, walking out of her stall. "This is so freaky."

She grabbed her towel and wrapped it around herself, leaving the rest of her things behind as Julie led the way out of the restroom and towards the pool.

"Everybody calm down!" Sam was saying when they got there. "I just talked to the staff and they said they are checking what the problem is. Our party can continue!"

"How's it gonna continue?" asked Beth. "The music is dead, we're almost out of refreshments and the snacks will be gone soon."

"Plus that storm is getting worse," said Logan, whose comment was followed by a thunderous roar from outside which proved his point.

Behind Sam, Quinn quietly said, "Maybe they're right. We should cut it here and send everyone to their rooms."

"To freak out alone?" asked Sam. To everyone else he added loudly, "Alright, let's not panic. The storm seems more intense because we don't have the music anymore and it's all there is to focus on. But as soon as the generators power up and we can get those speakers going, it'll all be good."

"Sorry Sam," said Albany, who walked past him holding Minnie's hand. "But we're heading upstairs. Thanks for everything, though." 

"This party was... decent," Minnie added.

As they left, a few others started heading for the doors. Julie, Kayli and Isaac moved out of their ways, watching a frantic Sam try to stop them.

"Okay, fine, fine!" he called out. "We'll break for like fifteen minutes and, uh... Get those bathing suits on people! Party will be back up in no time! You'll see!"

But it was no use. The rest of the crew had given up on continuing the party.

***

"That was something, huh," said Sabrina, walking behind John as they walked through the lobby.

"Yeah," he scoffed, barely noticing her. She began to say something else but John caught sight of Lyric about to try the elevators and ran after her. "Wait up!"

Lyric glanced up but her finger had already pressed the button.

"That's not gonna..." John began. "...work."

Lyric pressed it again and then let go, turning to John and sighing, "I'm so stupid. We don't have power."

"No we do not," John laughed. 

"And we're on the fourth floor."

"Yes."

"Four flights of stairs."

"Yes."

"To the floor where Damian and TJ are also staying."

John nodded, crossing his arms. 

Lyric stared at him for a moment and then said, "Maybe a swim wouldn't be so bad after all?"

"I was thinking the same thing," he laughed. "Let's go."

Lyric smiled, grabbing onto his arm as he led the way back to the deserted pool party.

***

Julie walked past Skye and TJ talking in the hallway to make it to the lobby, where Christopher was sitting on a couch with his legs crossed casually, looking at his phone.