she comes home on your birthday

The words from your phone call with Jade last night echoed in your mind as your friends stood around you singing happy birthday. This wasn't anywhere near what you thought your birthday would look like. Your girlfriend for the past year and a half was nowhere in sight, even though she swore she would be.

You understand she has a job to do. A job that's much more stressful than you could ever imagine. She has millions of people that look up to her and thousands of people that go to see her and the girls perform because they mean that much to those fans.

But she also swore she'd be here. She promised you before she even left for the tour that she'd make it back for your birthday. Because it's your birthday and she said that it was one of the most important days to her.

But it sure didn't feel like it. Not only could she not make it home for your birthday but she hasn't even texted or called you to wish you a happy birthday. Your friends, the girls, your family - they all sent you happy birthday messages. Not your girlfriend though. Not the woman you've been in love with for the past year and a half. It felt as though you didn't even matter to her.

"Make a wish y/n," one of your friends said as they pulled you out of your own mind. You didn't even notice that they had started to sing you 'happy birthday' or that they lit the candles on your cake. You knew exactly what to wish for. If wishes came true, you could really use that right now. You closed your eyes and blew out your candles while wishing for only one thing. Jade.

It felt as though the rest of the party dragged by. It's after nine pm now and you're tired of having to put on your best fake smile. As soon as the last guest was out the door you slid down it and broke down. You checked your phone only to see nothing there. You took off your heels and started to head towards the stairs to go up to bed. The only thing you wanted right now was a hot bath and then to curl up in bed while watching your favorite tv show.

But a knock at the door stopped you on the first step. You frowned and looked around the room thinking someone forgot something. But when you opened the door you saw Jade standing there.

Part of you wanted to slam the door in her face because she didn't even tell you happy birthday over text, but she was there in front of you and it occurred to you then that this must be some kinda plan she concocted. You wrapped her in your arms. "Hi, baby. Happy birthday." She said as she led you inside and closed the door with her foot.

"What are you doing here?" Jade laughed and poked your sides. "Silly girl, why do you think I'm here?" You rolled your eyes playfully at her. "I thought you forgot..." Jade shook her head and stroked your cheek. "I could never forget your birthday. I wanted to text you, at the very least, but I knew that if I did I wouldn't have been able to keep myself from telling you I was on my way home to surprise you. I'm sorry if I made you feel that I forgot but I swear that I didn't."

You smiled at her and pulled her in for a kiss. The first one you've shared in months. "It's okay. You're forgiven." Jade giggled and that's when you noticed the brown bag in her hands. "What's in the bag?" Jade pecked your lips teasingly. "Why don't you sit down and I'll show ya."

You did as she said and took a seat on the couch. The lights suddenly turned off making you jump. Jade put her hand on your shoulder and softly kissed your neck to comfort you. "Shh, it's just me, lovely." You nodded and heard a click. A few seconds later your favorite kind of cupcake was placed in front of you on the table with a candle in the center, ready for you to blow it out.

"Go on, pretty girl. Make a wish." Jade said as she kissed your cheek and wrapped her arms around you. You shook your head with a smile, a genuine one this time around. "My wish already came true," you said with a happy grin before you blew the candle out and began to eat the cupcake while making sure Jade had some too.

It turned out to be a pretty great birthday after all.