"we'll always love him, no matter what" (requested)

Jade sat in the hospital bed, wide awake as she gazed at your little boy in the carrier that the nurse had brought him into shortly after he arrived in the world.

That was a few hours ago and since then, it's been rough.

You and Jade have dreamt of having a baby for the longest time and after going through several options, one finally seemed to fit you and before you knew it, you found out Jade was pregnant.

Finding out that you were having a little boy was the best day of your life.

Well, until a few hours ago, when he finally entered the world.

It only made you love Jade more and your little boy, oh, he already has your heart.

However, your son had been born with a little birth defect.

A complete cleft lip.

It was scary and neither you nor Jade knew what to do.

However, after some reassurance and explanation, you felt relief in knowing that he'd be alright.

But Jade was taking it hard.

She felt so much guilt and heartache and although she needs some sleep, she can't even seem to fall asleep from how much she was struggling.

"Jade?" You mumbled as you scooted closer to her.

She turned to look at you but closed her eyes as you kissed her forehead.

"Are you okay?"

She wordlessly shook her head.

"Darling, you heard the doctor. He'll be alright."

"But it's my fault." She quietly said. "I must've done something wrong."

"You didn't do anything wrong." You said as you brushed your hand across hers. "It wasn't you. It's just something that happens."

"He's going to have to have surgeries and he's going to feel insecure about himself and it's all going to be my fault."

"Jade, no," you said before giving her hand a comforting squeeze. "He's perfect. Honey, look at him. He's amazing."

She looked at your little boy and found tears welling up in her eyes.

"He's going to be so loved. We'll always love him, no matter what. Because he's our little boy."

"I love him so much." She sniffled.

"He loves you too. You kept him safe for so long. He's going to grow up happy and healthy and he's not going to blame you for anything."

"I hope you're right." She said as you wiped away her tears.

"I am." You assured before kissing her cheek.

"He's perfect to us. Who cares what anyone else thinks? I don't."

"I don't either. I just don't want him to."

"He'll be okay. He's going to be happy and no matter what happens, we'll be there to support him, cheer him up, and love him just the way he is."

Jade smiled at you, finding comfort and reassurance for the first time in a while.

She knew you were right about your little boy.

He is perfect and you'll both love him through whatever life throws at the three of you.

She just wants him to be happy.

That's all that matters to her.