Chapter 1 - The Next Day

Start from the beginning

The young blond winced as cold metal sliced the side of his face before embedding into the ground. Naruto glanced behind him and saw the owner preparing to launch more kunai at him. He panicked. He needed to get them off of his tail. He looked around as he ran. After thinking for a moment, he finally came up with an idea. 'The alleyways' Naruto thought himself as he turned another corner.

Naruto lead the mob through a series of alleys and backways. Soon he was able to reduce the size of mob to a mere few. It was more a challenge due to some of them being ninja's themselves. He needed another plan. He was still running as he continued to dodge the shuriken and kunai that were being thrown at him. He did have a few scratches on him due to some very close calls. He thought of going near the clan houses, however, he didn't want to stir anymore problems for himself and create new possible tormentors.

His eyes then landed on the sewage curb drain underneath sidewalk. He gulped as he darted towards it. It was his only chance at escaping his pursuers. Unfortunately for him, one of the ninja caught this action.

"He's heading for the sewers! Don't let it get away!" he said causing the others to draw their weapons as well.

Naruto ran faster. His heart almost skipped a beat at how fast it was beating. As he sensed them prepare to throw their weapons, Naruto slid onto the ground, allowing himself to slide into opening. His adversaries yelled a series of curses as the jinchuriki fell down the hole.

Naruto crashed onto the ground with a light splash. He groaned as he began to slowly pick himself up. A trail of blood ran from his forehead and down his face, indicating that he had head injury. When he finally opened his eyes, he saw that he was in a dimly lit tunnel that was dark on both ends. He looked down to see he was standing in sewage water which caused him to scrunch his nose up in disgust. Although he disliked the smell, he couldn't help, but be grateful. He had just evaded another birthday beating, courtesy of the village of Konoha.

He shook his head and closed his eyes. He tried to mentally visualize where he was as if he were on the surface. He remembered the was near the park when he slid into the sewage system. If memory served him correctly, his apartment was east of the park. That meant that he would have to go left of were he was currently standing. He opened his eyes, settled on which direction he was going. He began to make his way down the tunnel, following the flow of water to know where he should and should not go. He made a mental note to come back down here and map Konoha's tunnel system. It may prove to be useful, including mapping the pipe that ran into his own apartment.

After an hour of many turns and loop holes, Naruto finally found an outing out of the tunnel. Although the way down the opening was anything but pleasant, he was grateful to be out of that filth. Once out the sewage, Naruto found another alleyway and hid in behind a garbage container. He sighed in relief as he rested his back and head against the wall. He had gotten away. He ran his small hand through his dirty blond hair as he took in his surroundings. He winced as his fingers ran over a certain spot in his had.

He pulled his hand from his hair and looked at it. A smudge of blood painted his fingers as he looked at them. He sighed as he looked around once more. He could tell that he was in the slums of Konoha. It was filled with mostly abandoned or old buildings and even remains of where the Kyubi attacked the village. There were a few warehouses and bars hear and there, and the streets were vacant.

He smiled a little as he began to walk. He knew that the slums weren't far from the pleasure districts, meaning that he was close to home. He stuck to the alleyways, avoiding the streets and main roads. As he was nearing the pleasure district, he ran into a hard surface, causing him to stumble back and fall. He winced as his head once again hit the hard ground.