Ch. 40 The End's beginning

I want to dedicate this chapter to Moon_Singer!

It was a locket!

I can not begin to say how sorry I am for such the long wait! Remember how in the last chapter I said this story wouldn't last for 5 more chapters? I may be wrong but I know that we are very close to the end. Just have your tissues ready! Ok here we go!

*****************************************

Keiko's POV

I was hiding in the changing room but knew this wouldn't last. Eventually I would have to come out. Why did Edmund have to come? Couldn't I enjoy my last day of peace with my friends?

How am I going to tell Isaiah? Why should I have to tell him anything? It's not like I love him. Love. There's that word again. It comes to my mind every night and it confuses me. A princess has to sacrifice love for the good of her pack. Mom told me that when I cried the night dad told me I had to marry Edmund.

Why should I have to marry? I am the future queen. I looked into the mirror and saw a girl. A girl not ready to enter the next stages of her life, at least not with Edmund. What am I saying? If not with Edmund than with whom?

I touched my heart shaped locket that Isaiah bought me. The jasmine petals wilted but I replaced them with fresher petals. The feeling of Isaiah and I together. All good things have to end. "Keiko are you here," someone called out. I walked out of my hiding spot and saw Dee looking around the room.

"Over here," I said and Dee ran toward me. "Where is he? I'll kill him," Dee said. "Calm down. I gave Edmund the slip. I told him I would be over here but that was a while ago. Edmund should be here any second," I said.

Dee brought me into her arms and gave me a hug. "Keiko I wish there was something I could do," Dee said and I took a step back. "Well there isn't anything anyone can do. I just have to do this for the pack," I said. Dee stared at me and touched my necklace. "It's beautiful," Dee said.

"Thank you," I whispered and stepped to the side. "Did Ms. Tiff need to see us again," I asked. "I don't think so. Luckily this is a masquerade so we should be able to slip away. Do you know what we're looking for," Dee asked. I shook my head no. Ms. Tiff only said that if we were the chosen ones, we would know.

"Well that's everything. I'll head back to Ms. Tiff shop and train. I'll also bring a few weapons. Anything special you want," Dee asked. "Another sharp dagger. You should get one too," I said and Dee nodded. Dee squeezed my hand and said, "I admire you soldier."

Dee walked out of the shop and I took a deep breath. I have to face everything emotionlessly. It's my job as a princess. I walk out of the shop and see Edmund walking toward me. "Would you like to go back to the castle and rest? I know you're feeling tired," Edmund said. I nodded not wanting to speak. Edmund offered his arm and I accepted it. I accepted it the way I accept everything.

**************************

Elliott's POV

"What do you mean," I asked Mandy. "I'm saying that I don't want my father to know about Ethan and me until the last minute," Mandy said. We were sitting outside and a gentle breeze was blowing Mandy's hair.

"Are you sure," I asked looking at Mandy's face. She slowly nodded and said, "Elli I just want things to end as smoothly as possible. You know that this could mean war for our kingdoms." Mandy's right. An engagement this long can't suddenly end and Mandy's father has every reason to call for war.

I touched Mandy's hand gently and pulled a rose from behind my back. I used magic of course and the petals sparkled. "Do you still like flowers," I asked. Mandy took the rose and smiled softly. "I do. Thank you Elli," Mandy said.