Requited Love - RenaBug (commission)

Hello! This fanfic is a commission and contains the LGBT+ ship, RenaBug/AlyaNette. Please refrain from commenting ship hate—if you don't ship it, move on.

~

"Ladybug!"

Panic struck Rena Rouge's heart as she watched the latest of Hawkmoth's many villains sneak up on her teammate and take a hold of one of her red and black earrings. The hazel-eyed girl felt her body freeze in place as Ladybug's mask slowly started to dematerialise and her yoyo disappeared from her hand.

Just as the entirety of the mask faded away, Ladybug looked up and met Rena's wide-eyed gaze. A gasp escaped Rena's lips as recognition flashed in her mind. She knew Ladybug's—or should she say, Marinette's—secret identity now!

A loud bang shook her from her daze as a myriad of thoughts filtered through her head, a mix of bewilderment, anger and dysphoria showing in her expression. Chat Noir stood behind the akuma (staff in one hand, Ladybug's earring in the other) who now lay unconscious on the hard concrete beneath them. He handed Marinette the earring, glancing away so that he wouldn't catch a glimpse of her face. So he wouldn't find out the same secret Rena now knew.

Marinette briskly fastened the earring back in place, her super-suit magically reappearing in a wave of magical sparkles and scintillating light. The girls' gazes met again as Ladybug awkwardly smiled before picking up the item holding the evil butterfly and smashing it to the ground.

After de-evilising the butterfly, Ladybug and Chat Noir held out their fists, waiting for Rena Rouge to join them. She hesitantly paced over and—with a shout of "pound it!"—the three fistbumped before Chat jumped away, his ring beeping loudly.

"Rena, can you come with me?" Ladybug questioned, trying to hide the anxiety pooling within her. Rena nodded and the two jumped away.

As they landed on a very familiar balcony, Ladybug's miraculous let out its final shrill sound of warning and, in the blink of an eye, she was Marinette again.

"So..." she began, taking a deep breath as she tried to figure out what to say. "You've probably got some questions, right?"

Rena Rouge nodded, an unreadable expression etched on her face. "Yeah. I'm sorry my illusion failed. If it hadn't, we wouldn't be in this situation right now."

"I suppose so," Marinette replied, clasping and unclasping her hands to try and remain calm. "But that's in the past now. We need to deal with the present."

"Yeah," Rena mumbled, letting out a sigh. Her necklace let out a beep, catching her attention. Only two sections remained orange. "I honestly don't know how to feel. On one hand, my best friend lied to me," Marinette winced and sucked in a quick breath, "but on the other, she chose me to be a superhero—something that's really changed my life for the better. The fact that you gave me it permanently straight away means the world to me. I'm so glad you see me as a trustworthy ally."

As her final beep sounded and a flash of orange light overtook her, Alya surged forward and wrapped her arms around Marinette in a grateful hug. A smile blossomed on her face as Marinette hugged her back.

"Thank you," Alya whispered, tears building in the corners of her eyes and she hugged her best friend even tighter. "Thank you so much."

───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────

Throughout the course of the next few months, the girls' bond strengthened. Every time Marinette had to disappear to be Ladybug when Rena Rouge was unneeded, Alya would cover for her—no matter how terrible the excuse was.