Colourful Emotions - Part 3

Marinette's eyes fluttered open as sunlight filtered in through the skylight above her. She rubbed her eyes as she sat up, letting out a yawn as she stretched out her arms.

She gasped as the vibrant yellow hue on her nails caught her eyes, a giddy feeling welling up inside of her at the thought of her mysterious soulmate's happiness. Marinette could already tell that this was going to be a great day.

So when Marinette found herself at the zoo later that day, awkwardly waiting on a bench with Nino for Adrien to arrive, she had no idea how she'd managed to get herself into that situation.

"He's not coming, is he?" She questioned, turning around to face the boy with the red cap. Nino visibly got more nervous (if that was even possible) as he turned around, reaching his hand out as he opened and closed his mouth, stuck on what to say to her.

It was at that moment that Marinette saw the colour of his nails. They were currently a light shade of red, meaning that his soulmate was angry or annoyed. They were a colour that didn't match her own emotions.

She tuned out Nino's voice, listening to Alya's angry words through her earpiece. The dark-skinned boy continued his ramble, stumbling over some of his words. As soon as she heard the word soulmate accidentally tumble out of his mouth, she stopped him.

"Nino," She calmly started, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We're not soulmates. See?" Marinette continued, pointing to his nails and then her own. Neither of the colours displayed matched the other's current feeling, a definite indicator that they weren't destined in that way.

"Oh," Nino replied dejectedly. "I feel kinda silly now." He sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, letting out a nervous and depreciating chuckle. Marinette sent him a sweet and comforting smile in the hopes to reassure him that it'll be okay.

"It's okay, Nino. You'll find them someday." She reassured comfortingly, smiling sweetly at him.

"Thanks, Marinette."

༛༛ ༛ ༛༺༻༛ ༛ ༛༛

Marinette sat up, stretching her arms out as she yawned. Her eyes glanced upon the calendar near her bed, causing her to gasp as she realised the date.

She grinned to herself, leaping out of bed to fetch her phone from her desk so that she could call him. Marinette flicked through her list of contacts until she found him and pressed call, brining the phone to her ear as she giddily waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?" A groggy voice said from the other end of the call. Marinette giggled to herself. He must have just woken up.

"Happy birthday, Adrien!"

"Oh," Adrien replied confusedly. "Oh!" He continued a few moments later, noises sounding like he was scrambling to get out of bed coming from his side of the call.

"Adrien."

"Yes?"

"Did you forget about your own birthday?"

"Maybe..."

Marinette let out an audible sigh at that, shaking her head as a few giggles escaped her. She looked to her left, spotting the scarf she'd knitted for him on the other side of her desk.

"I'll see you at school, Adrien." Marinette giggled as she rushed around her room, her phone held against her ear by her shoulder.

"Goodbye, Marinette."

Once she was ready for the day, Marinette headed out of the bakery, giving each of her parents a kiss on the cheek on the way. She patiently waited on the front steps of the school, the present sat on her lap in its box.