Chapter 80: There's No Place To Fall

Start from the beginning

He set the newspaper down and noticed several eyes on him, waiting for his reaction. They all turned away the second he glanced up at them.

Crumbling up the paper, he got up and headed for the exit again. There was no doubt in his mind who was behind this.

***

Walking into the fourth floor studio, Sebastian interrupted Damian in the middle of a session. He listened to a couple of seconds before asking the engineer to pause the recording.

Damian glanced up, so deep into an intense verse he almost didn't notice the music had stopped.

He was about to ask the producers what the deal was when he noticed Sebastian, so he set down his headset and walked out to talk to him. 

Sebastian indicated for everyone to clear the room, leaving them alone.

"What's going on?" Damian asked callously.

"How've you been?" Sebastian asked, to his surprise. "I was surprised you were using our space and not your girlfriend's."

Damian shrugged. "Needed a break from the Wasted Zombies over there..." he answered. "I've got a few more songs I wanna add to my album, actually. Last minute, I know."

"We're not releasing the physical copies for a few more weeks," shrugged Sebastian. "I don't think that will be a problem. Congrats on the BET nominations, by the way."

"What nominations?" Damian responded, confused. "Those came out already?"

"Yeah, today," Sebastian nodded. "So with that coming up and your album out in two weeks, there's plenty to keep you busy. And I don't know if I want to add more to your plate but... I was just wondering if you've had involvement in any... uh... homophobia controversies before?"

"Uh..." Damian hesitated, surprised by the question. "No..?"

"Good," Sebastian told him. "Really good."

Before Damian could ask where that question had come from, Sebastian walked out of the room and sent the producers back into the studio.

***

"Hey, yeah, I'm back in my house," Julie said, lying back on her couch with her feet in the air, wiggling them up there.

She was on the phone with Skye, who was still over on the Wildcat set, wrapping up filming and checking in on her.

"Yeah, I'm alone," she sighed. "I wish I had planned more promo to keep me busy but Rosie's coming tomorrow so it's best that I'm here now. I just don't have anything to do right now and it feels weird to have free time. Not used to it."

She wiggled her feet again as Skye talked, excited to have some long-distance company, but their conversation was short-lived as Skye had to get back to work.

Now she needed something to do until the next day, when Rosie would eat up all of her time.

But what?

She looked around the room and her eyes landed on the bar, which was still fully stocked. She probably should've asked to have that removed before she returned to the house.

But it was there... She may as well...

Just as she was getting up to grab a drink, her phone vibrated, stopping her from caving to the alcohol, as it was a text message from Kitty. The confusion distracted her from everything else.

Heard you're back in town. Can you come by City Hall? I have to talk to you about something important and urgent.

Julie glanced up. What could that be about?