70• A new enemy

Start from the beginning

I can't blame them, Eren, Mikasa and i had done it too.

More thoughts swirled around, meeting at the brim of her heart. " Come on, please, Mia! They're gonna take us!" Gabi cried, tears welling up in her eyes.

She stepped forward, hesitant to lay out her hand to them, " Mia! They just killed Sasha, what are you doing?!" Connie yelled, getting up to stop her, but Jean intervened.

" If she wants to side with the enemy, let her."

Mikasa couldn't believe what she was hearing, he had put in everything he had to get Mia back, and now he was choosing to disband her.

Jean was supposed to be Mia's best friend, the one who never gave up on her even in the darkest of days. But here he was, hurt and angry. The Mia he loved would have killed those two murderers the moment the bullet hit Sasha's chest, she would have known who she stood with, and she would have fought for them rather than stand by uncertain.

" They're not...They're not enemies...what about..." her head ached as she pulled at her hair, " What do I do, Eri?" She turned to her best friend, tears falling past her clouded eyes.

He looked back at her, his heart only beating for Mia in the moment. His best friend. And all he could do was stare mindlessly, this wasn't who he was anymore. It couldn't be.

" The people of Marley must fall, Mia. If you're smart, you'll know what to do."

She shook her head, looking back to the cowering Falco and Gabi. " They're just kids. They don't know any better, Eren, all they know is what they were told!"

He merely scoffed, as did the others. Mia knew they were all blinded by rage at the loss of their friend, but she couldn't — no, she wouldn't let them kill them.

" I stand with all of you. You're my family, not my friends." She whispered, meeting the eyes of the captain and the others, " but I won't let you hurt them. Take them as your prisoners, we can show them just how great the people on Paradis island truly are. We can merge with one another, and maybe one day, form a new world. One with peace..."

They all stared at her, nodding as their final response. But one man did not, instead a nauseating tone flushed through his chest.

Eren now knew who his biggest enemy would be, and his eyes met hers, he would have never believed it to be his best friend.

She turned to Levi, wanting to go back to him but she stayed still. A pain scorched her temple, and everyone who watched her knew not even she would fight this one off.

Her legs gave out, and in a second, Jean scooped her up — not without the glare of both Eren and Levi though.

" Hey! Mia! What the- what's happening to her?" Falco wailed, before a guard clasped a hand over his mouth.

Jean went to lay her back on the floor, but everyone in the room scoffed. " Are you seriously gonna leave her here? With Sasha?"

Levi sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Follow me, Kirschtein."

They lead her back into the room she was in prior, laying her back down on the bed. She continuously pulled at her hair, gasping for air.

Jean watched her in horror, pleading for it to end. He thanked himself for getting Levi to go back, because he feared he wouldn't even be able to bear it...Jean barely did.

Mia's eyes shot open, her breath picking up in pace as she slouches over. She scrunches up the bed sheet in her fist, gritting her teeth together.

She couldn't wrap her head around what had happened, but the feeling that consumed her brought an ache to her stomach. A piercing ache. Her hand fell to the pain, searching for a wound that had existed years prior.

It felt like a dream, and she had finally woken up. The memories rekindled in her mind, each distinct part flicking past her very eyes.

— flashback —

" I'll put it up." Levi's voice lurked for only seconds, as my mind began to darken. His touch seemed to grow colder, and farther away, even though his arms still rested around me.

" ...Hey Levi?" I whispered, but my voice sounds too far away. As If i laid in a tunnel, and he at the end. Another pain shoots through my chest, but I have to continue before he leaves me my vision.

" I- I love you."

He tightened his grip around me, but it no longer feels real. It's cold, and burns at the touch. My breathing softens, as my eyes close. A deep darkness encapsulates my mind, as I gasp out for one final breath.

And my light flickered out, like a withered candle in a burning storm.

" I love you too, Blondie."

— End of flashback —

Mia shoots up, turning to Jean. Her eyes widened, unsure of all the feelings that filled her chest.

" Mia? Are you okay?"

She scoured her entire body, meeting his glance again. Another gasp left her mouth, but it was far different than the last.

" I was dead."