"Wad told me that he was disrespectful to you before," My mom says, and I pause. "I am just asking you to forgive him. Wad has never gotten along well with seniors. He had issues with them in high school. He was always getting in trouble and fighting. It wasn't until later that I realized he only fought with seniors. I am glad that my son is finally learning to get along with a senior."

P'Prem looks at me. I bet he will want to know why I didn't get along with seniors in my high school, and that is something I don't want to dredge up. Not now. Not ever.

"Actually," P'Prem smiles at my mom, "I am glad N'Wad allowed me to apologize for how I treated him. I was out of line. I also got punished by my seniors and fellow hazers for the way I treated him."

I didn't know P'Prem had got in trouble for how he treated me. I wonder what happened? How did he get punished? Maybe I can ask Kongpop about it when we get back to campus.

"My seniors made me realize I took something simple too far," P'Prem shrugs. "But N'Wad and I have worked through that and have a good relationship now. I promise to take care of him well from now on, so please accept my apologies for mistreating your son once."

"Please accept my apologies for my son being such a hothead," My mom laughs.

"Hey," I huff, "I am sitting right here." P'Prem and my mom laugh at me.

P'Prem walks into my room after he took a shower, drying his hair with a towel

"Did you really get in trouble with your seniors?" I ask.

P'Prem pulls the towel off his head and looks at me. "Yes. They were right to call me out on it. What happened was my fault, not yours." P'Prem looks hard at me, "N'Wad, would you have ever spoken to me like that if I wasn't a jerk to you first? My ego got the better of me." Why does he look hurt? "Think about it. You hadn't said boo in any of the meetings before that day. You only fought with me because I started it." He looks down, picking at his towel. "And when I brought your mom into it that other time before the Freshy Games . . . Well, that was just a low blow. Especially now that I know your situation, they should have let you hit me. I deserved it."

"Why are you so nice to me?" I demand.

P'Prem stares at me for a long time before he answers. "Because you are important to me." He picks up a bag and goes back into the bathroom.

Important to him? Why am I important to him? I place my hand over my heart and the other on my stomach. Once again, my heart's beating like a scared rabbit and my stomach has that strange feeling. It feels like I have butterflies in there. What is he doing to me? I wish I could talk to someone about this. Maybe when I get back, I can ask Kong. I pick up my pillow and head to the door.

P'Prem walks back in, meeting me at the door holding my pillow. "Where are you going?"

"The couch," I state, "You can have the bed." P'Prem looks at the bed and back at me and takes the pillow from me.