Time To Be Brave

Jett's POV

"If nobody is going to ask," Maprang taps the table, "I will." My friends all glared at her as the seniors just shake their heads. "What! It is time he tells us what they did."

"You can't make people tell," Wad says quietly, "I should know, Maprang." She looks at Wad, and I guess she decides he is right since she sighs.

"I am sorry," I say softly. "I should have told you."

"If it is about liking guys," Prae starts, "Why are you afraid to tell us?"

"I don't know," I say, running my hands through my hair. I have asked myself that question daily since I had gotten here. I know the people in this room would have accepted me. I am just stupid.

"How bad was it?" P'Tutah asks.

I look at him, remembering how he stood up for me today. If I don't tell them, he is going to be imagining the worst. Looking at the rest of the group, I realize they all will. Considering what is happening at this university, I know they are worried I had to face the same. When Wad had spoken up, I felt small compared to him. He had to endure far worse than I had, and yet he was able to tell them. Time to be brave, I guess.

"It wasn't as bad as you are all imagining," I begin. "I was made a target by all years. It was encouraged by our hazers. People beat me up. Things were trashed. Rumors were spread. I couldn't go a day, no an hour without something happening." I rest my head in my hands. "The people who tried to stick up for me became targets, and eventually, they joined the others. I can't blame them. It was the only way they could survive."

"Were you open about your preference?" P'Knott asks.

"No," I sigh, "I learned to hide that before high school after I had to change schools because I was stupid and confessed to a guy in my class."

"Then how did they find out?′ Aim looks at me, "I mean, if you didn't advertise it, I don't understand how they figured it out. Even here with our group, you are not that obvious." All of my new friends nod in agreement.

"Not that obvious?" I look at them, "You knew?"

"You have let a statement slip here or there," Kong smiles, "But I was writing it off to being supportive of us. I don't think any of us wanted to assume anything and embarrass you."

"We figured you would tell us when you were ready," May grins at me.

"How did the hazers encourage it?" P'Tum frowns at me. I have never met him, but he was introduced as our seniors Head Hazer.

"People got out of punishments if they bothered me," I explain. "Also, they got rewards. I don't know what they were, but I was kept out of meetings so they could be given instructions."

"You make it sound like it was a game," P'Bright says, looking at his friends.

"I think in a way it was in a way," I shrug.

"So how did they know you liked guys?" P'Dear asks.

"Someone remembered me," I say, "He told everyone." This only a partial lie. It was more than someone. My hazers were part of that class and were there when it happened so how could they not remember me? But I can't say the truth. It is still too painful to bring up what happened then.

"How did you get the university to agree to your transfer?" Arthit questions. "I mean, normally, they would just tell you to quit and not care."

"I was smart enough to record several things that happened to me," I smile, "I even got the hazers giving instructions at the meetings they made me wait to attend."