38 ~ Run Away With Me

Start from the beginning

Since they started driving again Elijah hadn't said a single word. The entire brunch he hadn't said much either, a hint of sadness lingered on his features as they all discussed stories and their favourite memories. 

He was upset and she couldn't help thinking it was because of her. Maybe he was right, they should've left right away.

"Elijah" Lana began, carefully. He didn't object to her continuing what she was going to say, so she did

"I'm sorry if I overstepped by telling Evelyn where we were and inviting them--"

"Don't be" he stopped her

"But you seemed so... sad"

He took a breath and said "Because I realized it's probably the last Christmas I'd be spending with my mother" 

Lana hadn't even thought of that. She realized it might be true. And she couldn't imagine how that made him feel. 

When they got to their destination Lama was completely taken aback. They had driven past barren fields, empty farms, past large unending frozen lakes and finally made it here.

Cottage country. They pulled up to the driveway and a sandstone, triangle-black roofed cottage covered in a soft blanket of snow.

"Wow, this is it huh?" Lana asked, "Is this yours?"

"My families," he said. He dug under the snow with his bare hands, feeling for the fake rock that had the spare key under.

He twisted the ice cold metal key in the door and swung it open Flicking on the lights. They took off their shoes in the mudroom but kept their jackets on, it was as cold inside as it was outside.

Then he opened the second door into the main living area.

And it was beautiful, wooden walls like a log cabin, a cobblestone fireplace in the middle of the living room. The heather grey couches on either side and a whitish-grey rug that looked like soft, warm snow on the wooden floor.

It was smaller than his family home, but this place actually looked lived in. Although, not for a long time.

"Make yourself at home," he said, making his way to the fireplace to warm up faster

Lana decided it was her opportunity to take a tour. Through the quaint kitchen, the bathroom even upstairs to their bedrooms with pictures and posters from his childhood. It was like walking into the past. Everything seemed like it hadn't been touched for years, like a picture. Frozen in time.

🎵🔊

When she returned back to the living room the fire was crackling, the wind howling softly outside. She felt so cozy and safe. Warm enough to take her jacket off as she watched Elijah fumble with his bandages.

"Here" she offered. Reaching into the first aid kit to get some fresh gauze and wrap it neatly around his fist.

Pressing her lips gently against his bandages she whispered: "That's better"

He reached out to her running his thumb over the laceration by her hairline and he didn't have to tell her how sorry he still was. She knew.

"I forgave you a long time ago" she promised him.

He glared into her beautiful brown eyes and only thought to himself how much he didn't deserve any of her. But it was Lana, staring back into his hazel-green eyes who thought she didn't deserve him.

She broke their glare, making her way to the coffee table to put away the first aid box.

"Lana" he called, his voice as soft as the rug she was standing on, warm as the fire burning, as gentle as the snow outside.