40 ~ Business Not As Usual

Thank you so much for 150k! After a much-needed break, I'm ready to get back into writing.

Dedicated to @diandra73 for your comment, it was the motivation I needed to finish this chapter!

A f t e r that encounter with Frederick-- or well... it was more of an ambush, an attack, a threat. Lana felt so uneasy going to Elijah's class. Even though he was her teacher she now felt like she had to stay away from him. Or at least when it came to school.

She opened the door to the auditorium and as if everyone was waiting for her, they silently stared at her.

And Elijah scowled. His eyebrows perked up, late as usual Miss Valdez?

She quickly mouthed the words sorry and made her way to sit with Jamie who had chosen a seat too close to the front. Too close to Elijah.

"Like I was saying" Elijah continued removing his attention from her and now focusing on the rest of the class

"All of you here right now should be proud of yourselves for surviving the previous semester"

Surviving? Hardly Lana as well as pretty much all of the other students thought.

She had probably never tried-- and failed so many times in a class. Even with Elijah's help.

"This semester is a bit different," Elijah said "Same subjects, some of the same students, same professor and TA but..."

He almost laughed as he continued "This semester is going to be much harder. Guaranteed it will be harder than all of your class combined, less sleep, more stress so don't get too cocky. Because if you do you will not pass"

His words left a chill over the entire class as they looked to each other and mumbled, contemplating whether they should just drop out now. Even Lana wanted to drop out if she could.

Mr. West looked over at Lana and softly said "Stay focused and you will be okay. I'm here to help" and with that, his attention returned to the rest of the class "I will help you if you ask for it. That's my job. Just keep the asking to a minimum, I don't love my job that much" he half-joked and the class laughed and the tension dissipated in the air.

And with no introduction of Dr. Poe who was nowhere to be found, Elijah, like he had all of last semester took the steering wheel

"Let's get today's lesson started"

---°---

"You're kinda cute when you're stressed out," Elijah smirked, half-leaned back against the wall as Lana was struggling to get her snacks from the vending machine.

She groaned, and punched the side one more time "You'd think with all the money this school receives in funding they'd invest in better vending machines"