37 ~ The Blood's On My Hands

Dedicated to @gyal_dem I appreciate every comment!

shorter chapter ahead

W h e n   everything came to a halt, they still found themselves trembling, heart racing, breath taken

W h e n   everything came to a halt, they still found themselves trembling, heart racing, breath taken. Even when the car had stopped spinning, the chaos was yet to settle.

He looked over at her after a moment, after he had caught his breath, and his grip loosened around the steering wheel "Are... are you okay?"

"Okay?" she sneered, looking at him with her deep brown eyes still wide "We almost died"

"Because that idiot can't drive!" she snapped, looking back to see if he was still there. But he was gone, leaving behind a trail in the snow that was quickly being covered by the fresh snowfall 

"Did you see how close he was to crashing into us? That bastard. We should sue him for everything he's worth. Did you get his license plate?" she rambled

"Are you okay?" he repeated slowly. "That's all I care about right now"

"I'm okay" she shouted, taking a deep breath and sinking back into her seat "I'm okay" she repeated calmly

"Can we just get off this road. I want to get back to my daughter,"

He laced his hands in hers, his thumb running across the smooth skin of the back of her hand. Nothing would make him happier. But in that moment he was just glad that the love of his life, the mother of his child wasn't hurt.

She gave him a small smile and said again, "Keilana's waiting for us"

He didn't even have time to reverse the car and get back onto the right side of the road before the lights of an eighteen-wheeler truck speeding directly at them flooded the windshield

"Oh my God--"

"Lana!"

Lana gasped like she had just been pulled out of water when he called her name. Her eyes shot open. And to her surprise, she was still alive.

She turned to him, he was still alive and besides their minor injuries, he was okay. And she was okay. Still, she had never felt so far from being fine.

"I said, are you okay?" Elijah asked her again

"I... I'm okay" she stuttered. Clutching her seatbelt still and asked him "A--Are you?"

"I'm fine," he said unconvincingly

Lana looked around in the blackness of the heavy clouded night sky, breathlessly she asked: "What was that..?"

"A deer, I... I think" he answered. He pushed his door open and so did she, about to take a step when she looked down into the deep drop off. Had the car not stopped where it was, they would've fallen forty feet into the narrow lake below.