The Changing - Newt

Trigger Warnings: violence, choking

You were currently out in the Deadheads because you wanted to be alone and just think. You come out there a lot, so it really didn't bother you anymore and you liked going further in where most people don't go. Your brother, Ben, used to come out with you, but ever since he's gotten stung by the Griever and gone through the changing, you never see him anymore.

It was starting to bother you because you were close before, you even made a pact saying that this would never happen. Every time the thought came up though, all you would do is push it away, not wanting to think about it and believe that Ben broke that pact and never wants to talk to you again.

You were snapped out of your trail of thoughts when you heard a movement behind you. You turned around but saw nothing, so you just decided to keep walking. You heard sticks from the ground break and so you turned around again. 

"Ben," You said, barely audible. He said nothing, just came towards you with a look in his eyes, a look that scared you. You backed up a little bit, now afraid of your own brother.

"Ben." You tried again, trying to snap him out of it. He didn't budge, just kept walking forward. He then tackled you to the ground, trying to grab onto your neck. 

"Ben! No! Stop!" You struggled to get out, trying to get loose so you could run off.

You finally escaped his grasp and started bolting out of the Deadheads, Ben right on your heals. You were struggling with breathing, but pushed on knowing that Ben would kill you if you couldn't make it. You saw the Gladers working up ahead and picked up your pace, making it out of the Deadheads. A few Gladers noticed and started making their way over.

Ben then dove down at your feet, bringing you down again. He was back on top of you, choking you like how he was before, except this time you didn't have the energy to fight it. You started struggling for breaths when someone hit Ben with something sharp and heavy you were guessing, knocking him off of you. The person then knelt down besides you, meeting your eyes. 

"Newt." You whispered as you struggled with your breathing. 

"Y/N, are you okay?" Newt asked worried, placing your head in his lap. 

"Air." You said, trying desperatly to gain back the air that you lost. You had tears running down your cheeks as you struggled to grasp onto any air you could for your lungs. 

"Clint! Jeff!" Newt called out, stroking your hair. 

"You're gonna be alright, Y/N." Newt said as Clint and Jeff knelt down next to you.

They started checking you out, looking mainly around your neck where Ben choked you. Your breathing pretty much returned to normal a few minutes later, and Clint and Jeff started talking to Newt. Once they walked away, Newt helped you sit up and he pulled you into his lap. 

"Are you in pain? You have some pretty nasty looking bruises around your neck." Newt said. 

"T-they don't hurt unless you t-touch them." You said, a few tears falling from your eyes because of the pain. 

"I'd beg to differ, Y/N. Sh, don't cry." Newt whispered, gently picking you up. He held you bridal style, carrying you to his room in the homestead. 

"How am I supposed to not cry? The pain is so intense and my brother just tried to kill me and I'm gonna have to watch him get banished because of it." You said, crying even harder at the thought.

"I know, but we don't want him hurting you or anyone else. He's been different since the changing, and we didn't know what was happening. Maybe it's for the best. He'll be put out of whatever pain is happening to him right now." Newt whispered kissing the top of your head.

"I just can't believe he attacked me." You said, looking up into Newt's eyes. He gently pecked your lips, bringing you back into his arms and laying down. Your head was in his chest, his arms wrapped tightly around you. 

"I know baby, I know." Newt whispered. "Get some sleep, a nap is what you need right now." 

"Okay. I love you Newt." You said, cuddling into him more.

"I love you too Y/N." Newt replied right before you dozed off.