58• Withered Flames

Start from the beginning

"Would you like some tea, Captain?" Historia asks, the rooms tension weary and stiff. It's been 6 months since Mia has died and no one has gotten better.

Historia keeps attempting to keep everyone together, but one girl can't do it all. Especially when her own captain is falling apart.

Not that he's showing us, but, it's there. Levi shakes his head, his eyes falling to the teacup he had broken nights earlier still in pieces on the floor. Historia nods, unknowing how to restore the silence that she so desperately tries to fill, but she can't, as no one has anything left to say.

If Mia were here she would've started making fun of us, probably started fighting Historia too. She would've been able to liven us. I smile, recalling the graceful days of her doing the very things at the time we all despised.

The door opens, causing all our attention to be brought to it as Eren with dark bags under his eyes, and a chill in his voice trudges through.

" I need to tell you all something..." I raise an eyebrow, as do the others as we all await whatever he has to say.

" Mia..." I shake my head, not wanting to hear more of her as when my eyes fall to the Captain, his expression dampens from one of solemn to anguish.

" Just listen...please." He pleads, his knees beginning to shake as with his already trembling lip.

" On the day...s-she died. We were fighting Reiner and I- I didn't see where she was standing and..." tears stream down his cheeks, dampening the floor boards.

" I fell into a house and the wood — it flew everywhere and Mia...she was in the way and-" he had been so desperately trying to keep himself together, but as of now, he had lost himself in a sea of despair. His knees give out as he crumbles to the floor, his broken heart evident all over.

" The wood impaled her and I saw it. I thought she was okay, i thought she was fine but...she wasn't." Sobs escape him, his hands immediately clutching at his chest in attempt to keep him from falling apart further.

" it's my fault Mia is dead. I killed her."

But the room stays silent, no one had anything to say. No anger is shown or spoken, nor is any sadness. The room, despite Erens confession, remains empty again.

" I'm so sorry, Captain Levi." but all the Captain does is roll his eyes, the bare emotion we had seen earlier when Eren had first mentioned her was gone.

" Stop crying, Jaeger. You're embarrassing yourself. It's not your fault, it's only hers."

All our eyes widen, but before I or any others can protest, Levi leaves the room, still failing to pick up the broken cup.

" He just doesn't know what to say.." Hange begins, going to pick up the cup herself. Eren picks himself up, huffing as he carries himself out the room, Mikasa and Armin following.

" I know."

As it was true, he didn't know what to say. He didn't know how to do anything as everywhere he walked a darkened shadow seemed to loom over him. Not allowing of any light to fill the space he so desperately wished to be filled.