Chapter 74: Beast of Burden

Start from the beginning

Billy is set to be transferred to a prison a few hours away today. Luckily, he has connections there and will be protected.

"Here goes..." I sighed, unscrewing the cap on the small bottle of mouthwash that I carry in my purse.

Taking a swig, I gargled the mouthwash around my mouth, hoping to freshen my breath after just throwing up on the side of the highway. My nerves were shot, and today was going to be a hard day. It would be the last time I see Billy for quite some time... the last day I'd get to embrace him and kiss him for the next five years.

"Two pieces of I.D please," the officer behind the desk demanded, awakening me from my thoughts.

Oh God... I'm going to be sick again.

Everything seemed like a blur. This was really happening. They brought Billy out and my whole world seemed like it had just stopped spinning. This can't be happening... this can't be happening.

"Wasn't too long ago that you were the one sitting in my spot," Billy laughed, breaking the silence.

Gulping, I reached out to him, wrapping my hand around his cuffed wrist, "B-Billy..."

"Surprised ya found some fuckin' time in ya day to come see me," Billy snorted, shooting me a glare.

"I couldn't..." I whispered, staring down at my lap in shame.

"Real fuckin' grateful aren't ya?"

"Fuck you," I hissed, shooting my head up and glaring at him, "If you only knew the reason that was preventing me from coming to see you sooner."

"Now what?" Billy asked in annoyance.

"Why don't you lose the attitude, first of all." I snapped.

"Why don't ya get to the fuckin' point or fuck-"

"I'm pregnant, you fuck." I snapped, cutting Billy off.

Billy's jaw tightened and before I could say anything he had slammed the table, making me jump in my seat. The guards glanced over at him and just shrugged, surprisingly leaving us alone. Billy turned his head and gritted his teeth, knee bobbing up and down under the table. For the first time in what feels like forever, Billy Darley was speechless.

"You gonna run?"

"What?!" I exclaimed, mouth falling agape, "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Are ya?"

"No. What kind of question is that? I married you."

"Didn't stop ya last-"

"If you're gonna be a fucking asshole I'm not coming back to see you for the next five years-"

"Truth fuckin' hurts, baby."

"God, you're an asshole..." I growled, shaking my head in disbelief.

"I love ya," Billy chuckled, leaning forward and cupping the side of my face.

"And I love you, so don't ever fucking ask me that again. I married you, knowing what I was doing, thick through thin." I explained, choking back tears.

"You're all I got..." He trailed off, staring at me blankly. I couldn't tell if he was pleading with me to stay or just stating the obvious, "You and the kid... and the one ya carrying."

"Come home to me." I demanded, a silent tear rolling down my cheek.

Billy smirked, "This ain't my first stint."

Rolling my eyes, I leaned forward and kissed his jaw, "I mean it, smartass."

"Protect my kids." Billy demanded firmly.