A beginning of something

Part 31

A beginning of something

Kaitlyn’s POV

Gabriel stayed the night at our house. He slept in the room next to mine and I stayed awake just to listen to his light snoring. I never felt like this before. It’s like a needle is pricking my heart every second. Painfully and longing for him. The fact that he was so close to me almost ripped me apart. I had to hold onto myself tight so I didn’t go over there and…

Maybe I should have?

It doesn’t matter now. It is morning and he’s already awake. I hope he won’t notice the signs of tiredness in my face. I want to look pretty for him. I hope the long cold shower I took woke me up enough to survive breakfast.

I feel ashamed over myself for worrying about a stupid thing like my mate when Kate is missing and Mary is hospitalized. I should try to be there for the Rays as much as possible. I can’t imagine how it feels for a parent to go through something like this. I’m not sure I’d be able to stay sane if mine and Gabriel’s children…

I shouldn’t get ahead of myself. What’s the chance of having babies with him when I’m too scared to confront him?

I leave the room angry at myself for being such a coward. I decide one thing and then change my mind. I should just do it. Try to seduce Gabriel, show him I’m interested without mentioning the mate thing. Then I just have to hope that he’ll fall for me too. Why else would the Wolf Spirits put us together?

Everyone is already in the kitchen when I arrive, except Vincent. He should be at work at this time, but he’s still asleep. The boys are at school at least.

I saw Ray leave the house early this morning from my window. It was quite amusing to watch her break into our neighbor’s house. I don’ see why she did it, but I guess she needed something else to think about. Carlie didn’t go to school either; I wonder what they are up to?

The atmosphere in the kitchen is pressing. Gretel is looking dead with red eyes and just stares at her half eaten breakfast. Everyone else seems to have an appetite, just not for talking.

The chair opposite to Gabriel is empty and my heart skips a beat when I give him a glance through my eyelashes. He’s deadly gorgeous. His eyes are so dark, they’re to die for! What I wouldn’t give to gaze into them forever. He looks at me as I’m about to sit down and then I feel it, the huge spark. I can’t hide my emotions and it feels like he’s reading me like an open book.

“You should get some sleep,” is all he says and I could die of embarrassment.

My cheek turns red and I sink down onto my chair, ripping my eyes off him. “Too much happened lately,” I answer him hoarsely. “I doubt I’ll be able to get any kind of rest before all of this is… better again.”

“Don’t be rude,” Mrs Ray lectures him with her icy voice and even I sit up straight when I hear it. He just gives her a grin. She gives him an arrogant glare back and turns towards me. “Good morning Kaitlyn.”

“Good morning, Mrs Ray,” I answer her shyly.

“Say Starley please. My husband has been at the hospital all night; he called me to say that Mary is doing so much better now. The deep scars are almost gone.”

My eyes widen when I realise that Mitch Ray isn’t here. How could I have forgotten about him?

“I’m very pleased to hear that, Starley,” I add respectfully.